Low fps with a 7800GT

Osak

Daemon Poster
Ok i just ran into this littel problem, i just installed BF2 and when i play it on all high setting at 1024x768 i only get 30-50FPS alot of the times it drops into the 20's and this is not right, the FPS dosent change no matter what setting i put it on. On 3dmark 05 im getting 6,8xx so i have no idea. Im thinking its my PSU (Single rail 12v 18A 430watter) If you have to low of a PSU does that slow your GPU down also becuase it dosent have the wattage to run at full speed???? Iv got the newsest drivers and i have uninstalled and reinstalled the game many times. I also have a problem with FEAR (75 avrg FPS with all maxed) but the problem with fear is my FPS dosent increase when i turn the settings down..

Thanks!

I doubt for the PSU, but trying a new one won't hurt. BUT, this looks like the card needs to have updated drivers or something...

you cpu might be bottlenecking your system... but thats just a guess
I personally dont own an athlon 64 desktop and I cant compare it with my 2600+ XP lol i run battle field with pretty high settings @ 1280x1024 with 30-60 fps lol

I guarntee you it's your drivers. If you have an Athelon 64, 1 gig of RAM, SATA hard drives, then it's definetly your drivers. You can go to http://www.nvidia.com to download the latest, or try http://www.omegadrivers.com and try out there's. Although I'm sure you installed the drivers that came with the CD, they're more then likly out of date. So my suggestion isd use the nVidia link and get those, or try installing the OMega drivers to try a driver that is more used for gaming.

If you had an ATi card I would suggest getting the Extreme Edition 1.5.13 CATALYST drivers, but you got NVIDIA, so that's a no go. But for all those other ATi guys out there, get the Christams Extreme Edition of CATALYST 5.13 called Extreme CATALYST Edition 1.5.13. :)

Well i have new SLI cert 500wat duel 12v rails ordered and i have the newest drivers, Im sure my CPU isnt bottle necking my system because I have a friend who is running the same system and he is getting 70-80 FPS in BF2

Well try listing off other things in your system. I it might be background tasks, although I doubt that to be the issue, but you never know. Before I game I always close every process except Explore and TaskManager down, that way I have all the Virtual Memory and CPU Usage being directed strictly towards the game. You never know, but it might not hurt.

Also, try redownloading the driver and reinstalling them. I've had an few instances where I would download the latest drivers, install, and see no improvent, then I just reinstalled them and got the results I was looking for. :)

Well BF2 is very memory hungry. If you want to play it maxed out with no stutters then you need 2gb's of memory. Like I cant play it completly maxed out with my 7800gt without getting a few stutters because I only have one gig.

Well see its not stuttering (Sig is out of date got 1512RAM) but just my constant FPS is low :( Im thinking maybe the GPU is clocking itself down becuase it cant get enought power from my PSU

No a GPU doesn't downclock because of a lack of power. A no it's not your PSU. I have a friend who runs multiple fans, LEDs, DUal Core CPU and a 7800GT on a 380PSU, so it's not that. Maybe you just have a messed up 7800GT. Try sending it back and getting anew one if you want.

Also, what program are you using to get your FPS while playing BF2? Fraps?

Back
Top Bottom