looking for acceptance

jbvancouver

Beta member
Hi, Im planning my first real computer build and would like some informed
opinions on any compatibility issues I have missed. I already have an xfi soundcard, three hardrives and a GeForce NVIDIA 8800 gts vid card. This
computer is to enhance an old fellers fun playing WW2 first person shooters.
I am currently using a 3.4 single core a 4 year old slow motherboard and a case that cooks the whole works. Thanks for your help.

Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Dual Core Processor LGA775 3.0GHZ Wolfdale 1333FSB 6MB Retail

EVGA Nforce 750I SLI Ftw LGA775 ATX DDR2 2PCI-E16 1PCI-E1 2PCI SATA RAID Sound GBLAN Motherboard

Corsair HX620W CMPSU-620HX ATX Triple 12V 50A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 120MM Fan 2X PCI-E

G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK PC2-8500 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual Channel Memory Kit

Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Direct Touch 3 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 LGA775 S754 S939 S940 W 120MM PWM Fan

Antec Twelve Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 1200 ATX 12 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 1394 Audio eSATA

I dont think I need a quad core do I?...also Im planning on using Windows xp
because Vista frightens me in its newness and reputation....and Im cheap.

If you're spending that much on a dual core, throw in $20 more and get the Q6600. A lot of games are using the extra cores, or at least beginning to. I get great results on the newer games with my Q6600. It will also future proof your computer a few more years.

Hi, could we have a little more info?

What is your budget? Where are you in the world? Do you overclock? What is your monitor's native resolution?

I dont think I need a quad core do I?
If you're thinking about going with an E8400, you have the money for a decent quad. Quads are just so cheap nowadays that there's really no point in getting a dual if you have a decent budget. Have a look at the Phenom II 920.

Thanks a lot for the feedback....I really dont have a budget, I''m going to get
in trouble from the wife (who doesnt understands a mans needs) anyway
but I dont want to get too carried away. I suppose I picked the E8400
because it's all I thought I'd need and the reviews and price seemed good.
Also it is supposed to run fairly cool. If a quad core will make a difference
on playing video games and running photoshop and combustion I will
definitely switch. I will not be overclocking and my monitors res. is 1680x1050.
The stuff in my list(without cpu change) will cost me about 1100 here in Vancouver Canada.
THX AGAIN

definitely switch. I will not be overclocking and my monitors res. is 1680x1050.
The stuff in my list(without cpu change) will cost me about 1100 here in Vancouver Canada.
THX AGAIN

If you're going to be using Photoshop, quad is the way to go.

THX AGAIN
Thanks for the info.

I'd suggest you go with the Phenom II 920, a 790GX motherboard (Nvidia can't really match the 790GX at anything so it would be better to go with one even if it means losing SLi support.)
2x2GB 1066 since DDR2 is so cheap.
Corsair HX620W CMPSU-620HX ATX Triple 12V 50A 24PIN ATX Modular Power Supply 120MM Fan 2X PCI-E
That's a nice PSU, but you can get something for cheaper which will be more than sufficient.
Xigmatek HDT-S1283 Direct Touch 3 Heatpipe Heatsink AM2 LGA775 S754 S939 S940 W 120MM PWM Fan
Go with this if you will be overclocking, if not, stock cooling is fine.
Antec Twelve Hundred Mid Tower Gamer Case 1200 ATX 12 Drive Bay No PS Top USB2.0 1394 Audio eSATA
Nice case.
also Im planning on using Windows xp
because Vista frightens me in its newness and reputation....and Im cheap.
If you already have a copy of XP that you're going to use, Vista probably isn't worth it. If you're choosing between Vista and XP however, I'd fully recommend Vista 64 bit. You don't have to believe the crap it's getting as it's a great OS now. You'll get DX10 support and a 64bit OS can address all 4GB of RAM.

Back
Top Bottom