Long time, no see! HP SysFan Failure Error....

dude_56013

Fully Optimized
Well, first off, let me say that it's great to be back. I was once on here for hours a day, but then college rolled around and we all know what happens...

Anywho, today I was throwing an old HP back together and I got a sysfan failure error on boot...it was after the HP splash screen...so I can still get in to BIOS. Here's the funny thing; it never HAD a system fan to begin with...just the CPU fan...and the CPU is running just fine AND shows up (along with its RPM) in BIOS. Also, I've tried plugging a fan into the PSUFan plug on the mobo (the only other plug to plug a fan into...I'm assuming this is SysFan) and it doesn't work...at all. BIOS always says "N/A" under System Fan whether there's a working fan plugged into it or not. So, I'm puzzled, and quite frankly screwed since I was supposed to sell the old jobby for 200 buckaroos.

Note: I've tried a different CPU fan...nothing; I've tried resetting BIOS...nothing; I've tried any and all combinations of what fan is plugged into what plug on the mobo..and even none at all...nothing.

Any help will be appreciated...I hope it's not doomed. I'd love to not have to be able to buy a new mobo to get it running again...

Let me know if you need the specs....although I'm assuming they aren't relevant...but I do know it's an ASUS board.

Thanks all,
Good to be back!
Zac

Thank the Lord! Finally someone! :D....it's a P4G533-LA according to the board itself...can't get into windows to use CPU-Z...it doesn't even give me a key to press to override...it just shuts down! :S

There's 3 fan connectors?

One at the top of the board between the RAM slots and the CPU heatsink mounting bracket, one at the bottom of the board underneath the 3 PCI slot and one right next to the floppy disk connector?

I've tried to find the best pictures of this board so i'm gonna need some help here.

:)

EDIT:

But like you said it didn't have a system fan before.

Check that the board is mounted square on the mounts and thats it's clean.

Also go into the Hardware Monitor section in the Power tab of the BIOS and see if you can disable any fan speed warning/temperature threshold settings.

Well holy crap on a stick...you know more about the board then I do and I've had it out and everything--in other words, I missed the fact that there was another fan plug by the PCI slots since there's a modem card in...I'm going to try plugging one into that and I'll report back and let ya know what happens.

Also, disabling doesn't help...I forgot to post it, but it was one of the first things I tried.

Next thing I'm going to do is pull the board out again (if the other fan plug won't work) and see if it's got spacers or not...I suppose in theory it could be shorting out somewhere.

Thanks for the help...I'll let you know what I find out.

EDIT: Well, I tried the other plug (ChasFan on the Mobo) by the PCI slots, and the fan worked, but I still got the same error...so I'm thinking it's the plug that says PSFan that's failing...like mentioned above. BIOS didn't see the fan that I plugged in to the ChasFan plug, so that's why I'm thinking it's the PSFan plug. I'll pull the board out next and make sure everything looks correct. If not, I guess I'll have to order a board off ebay...

Back
Top Bottom