local area connection...

brickhouseblues

Solid State Member
I hooked up my laptop to my home wired network, and it's running fine. When I take it off my network and plug it directly to my modem, I can't connect to the internet. The 2 computer icons in my tray say that the connection is unplugged, its plugged in but seems not to see it! Can some please help me with this issue, since I've been stump and I'm sure its something simple. Thanks in advance.

Issue solved, thanks all.

Toshiba Satellite 1905
OS Windows XP Professional
MOBO BTR20
BOIS V1.70 08/26/02
2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

you have to reconfigure your internet conection for xp, you go to options, network, new conection it will walk you through it.

I hooked up my laptop to my home wired network, and it's running fine. When I take it off my network and plug it directly to my modem, I can't connect to the internet. The 2 computer icons in my tray say that the connection is unplugged, its plugged in but seems not to see it! Can some please help me with this issue, since I've been stump and I'm sure its something simple. Thanks in advance.

Toshiba Satellite 1905
OS Windows XP Professional
MOBO BTR20
BOIS V1.70 08/26/02
2.00 gigahertz Intel Pentium 4

To connect a computer directly to most older true modems, you need a special type of cable called a crossover cable.

Do I replace my cat5 cable with this cross over cable totally? I don't think I ever seen that connecting cable.

Do I replace my cat5 cable with this cross over cable totally? I don't think I ever seen that connecting cable.

Crossover cables is simply a CAT5 or CAT6 cable that has the transmit and receive pairs reversed.

True modems are typically designed to be connected to a switch or router WAN port, so they already have the transmit and receive pairs reversed. However, computers are wired the same way as a modem's ethernet port, meaning transmit goes to transmit, and receive goes to receive, instead of transmit going to receive and vice versa like it should.

Thank you for your help, I went out and bought the crossover cables switched mine and the connection seems to be working fine!

Back
Top Bottom