loading windows?

novauniao96

Baseband Member
I just got windows and I'm a little confused on what order I need to boot my drivers. One website I am reading says this:

" set HDD detection to auto and Boot Disk Priority to floppy, cd, and then HDD0 when starting up your system the first time."

Then a magazine i'm reading said to that I need set the bios to boot off the hard drive first and then the optical drive. Which allows you to boot off the optical drive to install windows

Another thing the manual for my mobo which is msi k8n neo2 plat said that I can enter the first boot option, which will allow me to change the boot order for first boot but then it will go back to the original after that, I don't know what order the original is supposed to be, I'm in the bios right now and it's listed as 1.floppy 2.hd 3.cdrom is this right?

This is really just a common sense thing... You start out without any OS on your harddrive, so there's no reason it should be first(though it won't really matter, sometimes it will cause your system to lock up or odd things if it finds partial stuff on the drive...) So start with what you're going to be useing, the CD. Then once windows in on it, you could leave that as your primary, or swap back to the HD0 as your first. Obviously, you have to wait on the CDs to spin up and check what's on there if you happen to hvae a disk in there, so I leave it on HD0 to speed things up.

As for a floppy disk, no reason to have that enabled at all unless you plan to use a floppy disk to boot.

Oh, and most motherboards give you a nice boot menu if you press F5(I think) during post. You could just leave it on HD0, and just when you need another device, go though this...

The common sense is to set the boot priority to the hard disk that will have the operation system installed first!
Initially the BIOS will look there (on the hard disk)but it will be empty!, so it will continue to look till it finds it on cdrom or floppy. Once it finds it, it boots from there, and...... installs the operating system on the priority hard disk. After that, when the installation is done, you remove and put the installation CD away.
NOW!!!! when you boot, it looks in the priority hard disk, and voila, the operating system is there (no further looking for the BIOS!) and boots up ...the magazine is right..Sorry!

um, I just put the cdrom as my first boot device and started loading windows, it's doing the partition thing right now did I do that wrong then

Back
Top Bottom