Loading Issue

OutstandingO

Baseband Member
Last night I got home and installed another HDD (Matrox). I got into my main HDD with the OS on it and set up the new HDD. Like a dummy I just choose for the computer to recognize it as an "additional storage device" instead of a "bootable device".

I then tried to install Win XP on it and that didn't go over well. To make a long story short I have now caused it so that when I boot my computer it has the option to choose between two OS's. 1 is faulty (faulty in the sense that it selects that "OS" and give an error message) and no longer exists, the second is the original and is working fine.

The problem is when its booting it always chooses the first OS (which is
the faulty one) and gives me an error message. Then I have to reboot and
manually choose the second OS for it to load. My question is, after all
that, what can I do to get the CPU to stop recognizing the faulty OS and automatically select the second one? Is there a way that I can enable a counter at this point so that I can choice instead of hitting F1 repeatedly to allow me to select between the two?

PLEASE HELP ME!!!! :( :confused:

Yes there is. You simply modifiy the bootup :)

Go to Control Panel, System:
Advanced tab,
and under 'Start up and recovery', click 'Settings'.

Now, its not too complicated and I'm sure you'll do it fine.

On the new window, click Edit :)

Now you'll get a notepad type file open up, for example:

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="user1" /fastdetect /NoExecute=OptIn
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="user2" /fastdetect

Right, all you have to do is delete the faulty one. If you don't know which one it is, simply rename where the "" are as a memory to anything you want.

Now simply go to File, Save, and restart and find out which one is the booting one that works.

Now, go back to this, and simply delete the line that doesn't work, and save it.
It should now boot as normal, and this menu will dissapear.

I hope this helps :)

Try right-clicking on My Computer, properties, advanced, startup and recovery- settings, click edit, and take out ther reference to the corrupt OS. See if that helps...

Yes, hehe. At least OutstandingO knows it'll work :p

And as you can see with all my posts, I tend to write alot for the same type of outcome... Though i think the idea to rename was a good included thing just in case :)

Man, you guys are the greatest. Riddle me this then. When I want to install a new OS on the newer HDD I shouldn't have any troubles after I do this (unless I completely shaft the install)?

Nope, no problems.
The computer will automatically modify it once the OS is installed.

Though you could always go back to that boot list, and change the name of each one, so you know which is which :)

The bootlist (that notepad type file) is controlled by the Master hard drive. So if your first one is the master (making the other a Slave). You'll always go to this one to modify it.
IF your not sure which is which, the one it selects first should be the master.

Is this what is meant by the IDE primary and secondary? If that is the case I think that I have both of the HDD's on the Primary.

Yep, thats what that means :)

As for leaving both on Primary, it doesn't matter which you put them on, as long as they are configured right, and anyway, I don't think thats possible :p

It'll go alright, dont worry about it.

From what point to what point do I delete. Just whats in the "" or one whole stream that begins with multi?

Back
Top Bottom