A list of commands

Nik00117

Fully Optimized
I think CF should gets its member together and create a sticky for commands that XP uses such as cmd and msconfig and make it into a sticky... And we should comfirm that all the commands work on XP, and describe what they do. My donations are simplpe

cmd:Command its a prompt you can use the following commands in it
ipconfig: gives information on your IP
ipconfig /release: gets rid of your IP addresss
ipconfig /renew: Gets you a new IP address or reset its.

msconfig
Can customize your boostartup to make your reboot go faster.

eventvwr
Shows various errors in your system

regedit
Gets you into the registry to make changes, or delete old unused entries

netstat, it shows you the i.p. adresses of the servers you are connected to over the internet. this is useful for finding who is controlling viruses/trojans

i reckon a thread for linux commands would be great also, because lots of linux commands out there, have a description but those descriptions are impossible to understand! if anyone wants to help me out for like creating an easy to understand list i would be happy too!

depends on what packages the commands are for. each different tool has multiple command line options. On that note i would probably stick to the most commonly used ones.

ATTRIB – With this command you can display or change a files attributes.
CHDIR - This command displays the entire path of the current directory that you are in. You can also use this command to change what directory you are in.
CHKDSK – This command checks the status of a disk and displays a status report; it can also be used to fix disk errors if and when they occur.
CLS - Clears the screen, and returns to an empty line ready for commands to be entered.
COPY - This command can be used to copy one or more files to a destination you that you specify
CONVERT – This command is used if you have a HDD formatted with FAT16 or FAT32 that you want to change to NTFS.
DEL – This command deletes the files you specify. It will ask you if your sure you want to delete the file before it goes through.
DELTREE - Deletes a directory and all the files and subdirectories that are in it. You can not use DEL to delete a directory, This DELTREE must be used, even if the directory is empty.
DIR – This command gives a listing of the files and subdirectories that are in the directory that you have specified.
DISKCOPY – This command copies the entire contents of one floppy disk to another floppy disk. It writes over the existing contents of the destination disk as it copies the new information on it. Be careful that you don't overwrite anything you need on the second floppy disk.
ECHO - This command is used in batch files you may write. It displays or hides the text in batch programs when the program is running.
EDIT – This command starts MS-DOS Editor. It is atext editor you can use to create and edit ASCII text files.
FIND – The FIND command searches for a specific string of text in a file or files that you specify.
FORMAT – This command should be used with caution. It formats a disk for use with MS-DOS. It will ask you if you are sure you want to proceed before it begins with the format.
HELP – This command provides you with a list of available help commands.
MKDIR or MD – Easy little command that you can use to create a directory
MEM – This command is useful as it displays the amount of used and free memory on your computer .
MORE – If you run a command that is going to have a colossal amount of output, you can use the MORE command. It pages the output so you see one screen at a time, you then can hit the enter or space keys to move through the screens.
MOVE – This command moves one or more files to the location you have specified.
MSD - Provides technical information about your computer (Not always available)
PATH – Shows current system path.
PRINT – This command simply prints a specific text file while you are using other MS-DOS commands
RD or RMDIR - Deletes a directory
REN – This command changes the name of the file or files you specify
SCANDISK – This command starts a disk examination and repair tool that checks a drive for errors and corrects any problems that it finds.
TREE – This command shows you the structure of a directory
VER – This command displays the MS-DOS version number

Yea this is really quick, and there are a HEAP more commands, maybe someone can do one showing how to move around in the CLI.

Natalya

Back
Top Bottom