Liquid cooling... to liquid cool or not?

frldyz

In Runtime
First I want to thank everyone for their response about SATA III connections. It helped a lot.

As I mentioned I am building this PC from the ground up
It's purpose will be a basic computer. But at some point I would like to get into some gaming. I don't think I'll get too serious into it.
Like I mentioned this is a basic purpose PC. I would like to getsome software to do some editing on our family videos at some point in time

My next question is cooling.
I have an i7 4790k. Its more of a processor then I need. But I got a screaming deal on it @ Microcenter for $250!
Everyone has told me to replace the fan as it sucks.
I do not intend to overclock.

But I am taking this build serious. Money is not an issue. I would like to put the best parts on/in it to get the most out of it. And hopefully get more longevity.

When I was @ Micro center the lady had recommended I go with a closed loop liquid cooling system. And toss the i7 fan in the garbage.

Is liquid cooling way to much of an overkill for my needs. I know its more then is necessary. But will it negatively hurt to go with liquid cooling. Or would I get better performance out of an air cooled unit.

I have a Corsair 760t case. So room and venting is not a problem.

Thanks in advance everyone.

I would like to take advantage of my 760t panel window and show of my build.

Liquid coolers are (generally) better than air coolers. Quieter, sleeker (imo) and offer better performance. Sheldon's case is an EXTREME outlier. He's the one guy out of a million who had the bad luck of a leaking clc. I have had an H50 for about 4 years now and its great. I couldn't be happier. Sheldon is one of maybe 2 cases that I have personally heard of a clc leaking. They are extremely durable and well built so please don't be discouraged.

That being said if you aren't going to OC, and even if you are, the Hyper 212 Evo is an insanely good cooler and its so cheap it still boggles my mind every time I see it. I have used the Evo for several builds for friends and its great. Definitely recommend it. But if money is no object I would prob go for a corsair liquid cooler. Either the H75, H80i, H105, hell maybe even the H110. Water coolers are sexy.

However I can't justify spending that money if you aren't overclocking. It's totally up to you man.

I'm sure you could mitigate the risk by putting some sheet plastic inside of some sort to act as a gutter in case it leaked!

But in my experience, I've never seen a leaking watercooler.

I just want to point out from the one who had a problem with liquid cooler, if you twist it around up and down and every direction forcing it to fit that is where most people have problems with leaks.

As for me, i'm using a liquid cooler, and I absolutely love it. I have the Corsair H80i, fantastic cooler. I bought a custom fan for it as well, to improve cooling.

Here you can see it:

2mg8or6.jpg

That picture was taken with an old PSU in it, now I have a much nicer one without all those cables in the bottom :D

Back
Top Bottom