Linux won't recognize hdd

BarePaw

Solid State Member
I recently was given a Compaq desktop minus the hard drive. I have a Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB hard drive that I put into it. When I tried to install Ubuntu 9.04, it gets to the part where I'm supposed to partition the drive, but the drive doesn't show up. There is no drive or partition option listed and all the buttons are greyed out. All it will let me do is click "Forward". When I do, it says "Root File System Not Found". When I reboot and go into the bios, it shows up there and I can put it into the boot order. This hard drive currently has Ubuntu installed on it (I was going to reformat during the install) but it won't boot and run the old install either.
When I run Ubuntu from the live CD, open the terminal and type:

sudo fdisk -l

I get nothing

sudo fdisk -u /dev/hda

"unable to open /dev/hda"

After the new install failed, I put the hard drive in another machine to test it and the old install booted right up. I think the Compaq had IDE drives in it before. I got an old IDE drive to work in it, but the drive I want to use is SATA. SATA is enabled in the BIOS. The hard drive is recognized in the BIOS (It actually comes up in the boot order as "WDC", Which I assume means it recognizes it as a Western Digital Caviar drive. As far as things are concerned in the BIOS, the hard drive works with the motherboard just fine. Ubuntu just refuses to recognize it. Any ideas?

Sounds like ubuntu isnt loading the sata drivers for you to be able to see the drive.. You may want to look into slipstreaming (not 100% sure this works with ubuntu tho)

What motherboard do you have? It's not recognizing the SATA Controller (Not so much the hard drive it's self). You might be able to get drivers for it.

You might also try looking in the BIOS under the SATA settings for "Legacy" mode (I've seen it in the RAID settings on some machines).

Back
Top Bottom