Linux questions

Austinn1

Daemon Poster
I recently put Ubuntu on my laptop. I LOVE IT! Now I just need to get a desktop built so i can run Ubuntu on it. I have to Keep windows for school. I had to repartition my hard drive so I can dual boot.

I like how it tells me how long my battery is going to take to charge. Also, it has office on it. And it installed 107 updates all at once last night. Lot better then windows updating everyday. Plus, now I dont have to have a damn antivirus.

I have a few questions though. Im totally new to Linux.
1. How do i know if all the drivers are working? Everything seems to be working fine.

2. Is there any programs I would need to help Linux run better?
Like on windows, I have CCleaner, Ad-aware. Anything of that sort.

3. This might be a dumb question, but wheres a good place to get programs for Ubuntu? Like, media progs, games. Stuff like that. I dont need anything certain, just curious where you guys get yours from.

4. Also, Ive been wanting to get a webcam. Will any cam work? or are their special ones made for linux?

Sorry, Im a total newbie to linux. But I love it and will probably be keeping it.

1. Well, If everything is working fine, then I wouldnt worry about that. I only worry about it when everything is NOT running fine :p

2. None that I know of. But you need to keep your hard drive as de-fragged as possible... As usual.

3. Synaptic Package Manager. It downloads the applications directly from Ubuntu's servers. It's somwhere under the tool's menu. I cant remember what these menu's are called off hand, but you can access it from either the "Tools" menu (if that's what it's called), or a similar application that downloads the programs from the same servers, from the Bottom of the menu that is to the far left of the top corner of your screen

If you know what program you want, you can open up terminal, and do:

sudo apt-get install <programname>

For example, If I wanted to download... Say, An FTP Server, i would do:

sudo apt-get install vsftpd

This would sort out any other programs/services needed (called Dependancys) to run vsftpd (Very Secure FTP Demon), and then download & install it.

4. Have a look on: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Webcam - A number of cam's are supported.

Sorry if this doesnt make sense... I will re-read it in a minute!

Good luck, and if you need any more help, just yell... Or even better, Ask on our IRC server (Link in sig)

Back
Top Bottom