Linux OS

cavemangrinder

Fully Optimized
Does anyone here use linux? I am a windows 98 guy, but I'm curious about what linux has to offer. Is it as compatible with software and hardware as windows? What are your opinions on it?

I used to use it. It's ok...found it too much of a hassle to use it for everyday use. Stuff like installing a program can sometimes turn into a battle when you need to find dependencies. No good for games. Not all hardware will work with it but more and more work as time goes by. The biggest hardware problem will be if you use a dialup modem. It's a pretty big learning curve if you know nothing about it. Best thing to do is just install it and play around with it.

I just downloaded ubuntu linux iso file, it was about 650mb. Anyway, how do I install it on my comp???

Ubuntu is a great choice. I use it exclusively. What you do is put it in the cd drive, boot from cd. Start ubuntu, then wait for it. Then go to the install options. Follow the instructions.

Ubuntu is a great choice. I use it exclusively. What you do is put it in the cd drive, boot from cd. Start ubuntu, then wait for it. Then go to the install options. Follow the instructions.

Do I burn the actual "iso" file to a cd or do I burn the files (in) the "iso" file on a cd? I'm not familiar with doing this kind of stuff.

I tried both methods but nothing happens when I reboot the comp, just boots up to windows. I already made sure the cd-rom boots first in the bios. Any ideas? I must be doing something wrong.

have you got your computer set in the boot menu to boot from Cd Drive 1st?

Back
Top Bottom