LCD monitor backlight shutoff after ~15 seconds

Jesusfrk611

Fully Optimized
I was given a MAG lt1919wdb that had a problem with the backlight shutting off after about 10-15 seconds after power on. I can turn it off and back on and it will again stay on for 10-15 seconds and shut off. I thought it was the screen at first, but I saw others had backlight problems with other make/model LCDs when I looked it up so I shined a light close to the screen and the picture was still on there. Is there an easy fix to this so I can have a free decent working 19" widescreen LCD? I'm not afraid to open it, it's no loss if I screw it up, I just don't know what to look for beyond opening it...

I read several different sets of instructions like this that I looked up after you posted this. All of them say to replace the inverter, but give no reason as to why... If the backlight is what is going out, is there really a reason to replace the inverter?

The one I posted only says this about the invertor:
If you have a bad inverter remove the old inverter from the monitor. Using the new one you got with the kit, remove the plastic case the inverter is in with a razor or flat head screwdriver. Splice the ends of the leads it has to the power for the original backlight and attach it to the mounting point the old one was on as best you can. Often there is a simple way using the original screws and a hole in the new inverters board.
They are only saying to replace it if it's bad.

Alright, I figured out I was reading some exclusively for inverter replacement...

This doesn't seem as easy as it first sounds... Disassembling the monitor was the easy part. Getting the old lights out of the reflectors may be a challenge without breaking them...

Yeah, I want to still, just finding lights that are a size that won't be too small is another challenge. Most of the computer case cathode lights are 12". The lights on the LCD currently are 16". Only closest thing I've found is a 15" set on Newegg, but it's a little pricey after shipping ordering 2 sets.

Back
Top Bottom