Laptop will not recognize HDD

Munk

Solid State Member
First off let me state that I am a work on computers at a hobby level. I have fixed a few issues before and have taken some courses but my knowledge only goes so far so do not be afraid to talk to me like an infant when it comes to computer talk

I recently received a non-functioning laptop (Hp dv6226us) as I have fixed up a few in the past. The others just needed a new HDD, drivers, or reformatting, but this one is different. It does not seem to see the HDD at all. I began by trying to reformat and install a new OS as I have done before. I put in a 32bit win 7 installation disc and the computer freezes and shut down shortly after the windows animation begins. I then went into the BIOS to see if the HDD was recognized and it was not. I was not able to get into any kind DOS or CMD to try to reinstall BIOS. I downloaded a Ubuntu (first time with Linux) install disc and was able to use the "try it" feature. I guess it was only on the virtual memory because i was unable to install the OS. I tried the "ultimate boot" recovery cd and it wasnt able to help much.

Only thing left for me to do was to see if there was a lose connection or damaged hardware. I have put together a few desktops but this was my first time taking apart a laptop. Man that was a PAIN. Anyways, the thing is strewn apart on my floor and I do not see anything wrong, but then again I am a amateur at best. Is there anything else that you would suggest I try besides scavenge what parts I can? Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom