Laptop problem

CompMan

Fully Optimized
Okay I have an extra laptop and I just bought a PCMIA card for the wireless internet, everytime I insert it Windows freezes.

So like wtf.

I'm sry for double posting! But I really need this figured out.

+1 rep for whoever. sry to rush! but i need it fixed~!

what happens if you insert the card while the comptuer is shut down? does it freeze upon windows boot?

If it works after the card is inserted while windows is turned off, try reinstalling the drivers.

Did you follow the directions correctly, cause i know with wireless adapters you are suppose to install the drivers before you insert the card/adapter.

Thanks for the replys!

@celegorm If I insert the card Windows freezes no matter what buttons I press..If i take it out the computer will do all the buttons I press after I take it out. Now if I take the card out and reboot it then put it in when the bios is loading it works flawlessly until it gets to the windows boot screen it just sits at the boot screen until I take it out.

@VirtualDrone yes I did install the driver first and correctly.

I am absolutly sure it is not the card, because i tried it in another lappy and it works. Also I put another card into my laptop and still the same problem.

Basically it does it w. anything inserted in there. I got the laptop off a friend and it had a verizon card in there. and that worked...but then I took it out and reformatted and even when I inserted the card into the computer same thing happens.

In Device manager I looked for other devices and there are 2 listed, they are Base System device and Network controller.

I have no idea what Base System device is.. But for the network controller I installed the drivers for onboard lan.

(the network controller has always been tehre even before I bought the card so I know its not the card.)

EDIT!!: The laptop model is a Dell Latitude D800.

I would try reinstalling all the drivers you can find on dell's site for it, then the wireless card as well then try to put the card back in.

That is weird. THe only thing I can think of that is left would be the cards shorting out, but then It would freeze all the time, not just after POST...

If it's clear of viruses, then I would just do a reformat of windows.

Yeah there are no viruss cause its freshly formatted.

What I am going to do is install Vista on it then see if its the same problem. If not then I will try windows xp w. no service packs.

Alright this is starting to piss me off. So I loaded the Vista CD in..works all good loading files blah blah blah then it freezes when it gets to the installation part, then I take the card out and it continues!

Back
Top Bottom