Laptop not booting up properly!

swamp_rattler

Baseband Member
Hello all,

I have a Dell Insiron laptop. Yesterday I was online, but also had Photoshop Elements running. My internet froze up, but everything else was fine. I closed out of my Photoshop and other programs, but the internet wouldn't close despite using Task Manager--->End now.

Anyhoo, I turned off the laptop by holding down the Power button (maybe I shouldn't do that) and now when I turn the laptop back on, I get the normal log-on routine, the password screen comes on so I type in my password, but then my desktop appears with all my icons but it is froze. I can move my mouse around but can't open any files. If I move the mouse down to the start bar I get the hourglass symbol. I don't know what to do!

When starting up the computer, I can press F2 or F12, but all that is practically Chinese to me! What can I do??

Thanks!!

Did you try it in safe mode?
You might have to change the boot drive and run a virus scan.

It works in safe mode...but what exactly am I supposed to do in this mode to fix the problem?

I have Norton 360...not sure if it is expired. It says it won't run as I'm in safe mode. Can I install a virus scanner in safe mode?

And how do I change the boot drive?

Sorry, I really am not computer-saavy.

does safe mode with networking work at all if it does try trend micro housecall which is their online scanner. Also try spybot search and destroy.

I recommend using avg or avast over any norton product.

edit: I also know avg works in safe mode

Something similar happend to my xps laptop except the furthest i could get after restarting or shutting down was the login screen and then it would just restart back to the login screen and couldn't get away from that screen not even in safe mode, and i too was using photoshop when this occured. I just reinstalled my os and everything was fine.

you could also try shutting down the computer and removing the battery and power cord from the laptop for about 5 minutes to clear the ram and all that jazz. Sometimes a firm power reset can do the trick. Doesn't require a large amount of work either.

I'm looking for my installation CDs but cannot find the operating system re-install CD. GRRRRR! My cousin had a problem with his laptop a year ago and I lent it to him...I sure hope he has it. This is the option I'd choose to go with IF I can find that CD. Is there anywhere I can purchase a replacement? I've looked online but cannot find one.

My computer does work in safe mode. I've tried restoring to an earlier date, and that seems to work well when I restart the computer. But suddenly, after a couple hours, the computer freezes once more and I'm back to where I begun.

I'll have to try it in safe mode with networking...thanks mikee.

As well, I get this error when I log on (not verbatim):
"pctsTray.exe: rtl100.bpl not found. Please re-install this component." I have no idea what that means.

I'll try the power cord/battery trick. Wouldn't that be nice if that was the real problem!!

You can download a cd from torrent if you have a legit serial number it is legal.
That's what I did since my vista cd is the original that came out in 2006 with no updates. If i reformat I just use the cd I downloaded off a torrent with my serial from the box of the original. This works if you just download a copy that has no cracks preinstalled.

Back
Top Bottom