Laptop with a dead screen...need to transfer the data off the hdd...how?

Fee

Solid State Member
The screen is completely dead...I was thinking of a way to take out the hdd in a hookup with a external and connect that to the new drive and grab the data but i'm not sure what type of hookups are needed and I don't believe I have the hardware to do that, but would it be possible to take the 2 laptops, connect via a crossover cable and go in and transfer the data to the new laptop that way?

Just plug a standard desktop monitor in if its the LCD.

If its the GPU, then I would use a usb to sata converter. OR just plug it into the SATA port in your desktop with a standard SATA cable and SATA power from the PSU.

Just plug a standard desktop monitor in if its the LCD.

If its the GPU, then I would use a usb to sata converter. OR just plug it into the SATA port in your desktop with a standard SATA cable and SATA power from the PSU.

Thanks...I knew I was having a duuurr moment...Can't believe I didn't think of using a desktop monitor and yeah actually I am not sure if it is the LCD or if it's the GPU. I'll have to check it out when I get it...Not sure if I have a usb to sata converter...but I could plug it into the sata port in my desktop most likely...it would just show up like I added a regular drive?

You would need a way to power the drive, and the laptop may not take the desktop monitor because it may not see it and you would have to switch it using fn+f8 to get it to come up. Back to the drive you can buy a 2.5, 3.5 sata to ide adpater or 2.5 sata adapter it comes with a power for the drive and the sata connection for the drive it will then plug in through your usb port and will show up like an external drive gl

not always i we just recently bought one of our user's a latitude e5500 with an eport replicator and i was going to setup dual monitor's on it but the replicator did not support dual external monitor hookup, so i was just going to have them use the external display and the laptop display and it would not pick it up even after a restart had to configure it. So it may or may not work depends.

Back
Top Bottom