Laptop Companies?

sanka

Daemon Poster
I've been out the game for a bit, and I need a new laptop for college. What companies are making the best laptops right now? I've heard some good things about Lenovo, but I was also thinking about getting one of those Dells that have Linux on them. Thoughts?

What's your budget? Any specifics such as screen size?

Budget. . . I'm looking to spend anywhere from 700-1000 on it. The only specific thing I need is for it not be too big (not a netbook, but not a laptop replacement). I'll bring it around a little bit, but not that much.

You mean their netbooks?

uh

I guess there is only two non-netbooks that have linux :|

Budget. . . I'm looking to spend anywhere from 700-1000 on it. The only specific thing I need is for it not be too big (not a netbook, but not a laptop replacement). I'll bring it around a little bit, but not that much.

Dell XPS M1330

Seems like the right notebook. 13" is pretty manageable.

Do you there would be an advantage to checking out smaller laptop companies like Acer, Lenovo, or Asus? Or have you found Dell to be the best?

Do you there would be an advantage to checking out smaller laptop companies like Acer, Lenovo, or Asus? Or have you found Dell to be the best?

I wouldn't say there's an advantage per se with smaller companies. I usually stick with larger manufacturers simply because of their support options. The particular model I listed has been favored by many websites and forums. It's been really successful, even spawning a bigger brother (Dell XPS M1530). If you're willing to spend more, the Apple MacBook Pro 13" has also been pretty successful as well. It's slightly above your budget, but it's very popular among college students.

By the way, Acer, Asus, and Lenovo aren't exactly small notebook manufacturers. They might not be popular in the United States, but they have a sustainable market around the world

I would actually stay away from dell. They make up a lot of the service work at my job. Asus is really nice. Great quiality and good specs for the price. Two year warranty standard on all units, first year covering accidental damage. Can't beat it.

I would actually stay away from dell. They make up a lot of the service work at my job.

Considering they're one of the largest notebook manufacturers in the world, that's not unheard of to have a larger repair ratio compared to smaller brands.

Considering they're one of the largest notebook manufacturers in the world, that's not unheard of to have a larger repair ratio compared to smaller brands.

But when put next to HP, Sony and Gateway combined, we still see more Dells by volume.

Back
Top Bottom