Which laptop to buy?

northcbs

Solid State Member
im going to buy a laptop in the next couple weeks and i need help on knowing what is the best for the money i can spend. i am not the most knowledgable, but as far as i know i am trying to find the cheapest computer that has a intel core 2 duo 2.0g proc, 2gs of ram, and the best graphics card possible for hopefully under 1250. i have been looking at ibuypower and cyberpowerpc, but people seem to say they dont make quality comps. any feedback would be great

also, is it worth steering away from the intel to the amd to save the money for a better graphics card. any and all recommendations are appreaciated.

Most laptops that you will buy will probably have Intel processors. Also, you cannot really change GPUs in laptops. You will have to buy one with a good GPU also installed.

What games/programs are you planning to run?

umm, comp will prolly be used for cs:source and other hl2 games, possibly other new games im not sure, a lot of music and movies as well.

yeah what thelis said

also what is 1250 is that usd or gpb or another currency .
also where are you planning to buy this from .
maybe fill in theese questions then we can realy give you a great reccomendation
General Questions

1) What is your budget?

2) What size notebook would you prefer?

a. Ultraportable; 12" screen or less
b. Thin and Light; 13" - 14" screen
c. Mainstream; 15" - 16" screen
d. Desktop Replacement; 17"+ screen

3) Please select your country's flag as a post icon and tell us what country are you buying this in.

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?

5) What tasks will you be performing with the notebook?

6) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places or leaving it on your desk?

7) Will you be playing games on it; if so, which games?

8) How many hours of battery life do you need?

9) Do you mind buying online without seeing the notebook in person?

10) What OS do you prefer? Windows (XP or Vista), Mac OS, Linux, etc.

Screen Specifics

11) Would you prefer standard or widescreen?

12) From the choices below, what screen resolutions would you prefer?

Standard
a. XGA -1024x768 - Large and easy to read text + graphics icons, but you fit less stuff on the screen.
b. SXGA - 1400x1050 - Compromise resolution between XGA and UXGA.
c. UXGA - 1600x1200 - Very small text and graphics icons, you can fit lots of stuff on the screen.

Widescreen
d. WXGA or WXGA+ - 1280x768/800 or 1440x900; Wider viewing version of XGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
e. WSXGA+ - 1680x1050; Wider viewing version of SXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.
f. WUXGA - 1920x1200; Wider viewing version of UXGA, good for movie viewing or spreadsheets.

13) Do you want a glossy/reflective screen or a matte/non-glossy screen?

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you?

15) When are you buying this laptop and how long do you want this laptop to last?

Notebook Components

16) How much hard drive space do you want; 40GB to 200GB?

17) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD-ROM, DVD-CD/RW or DVD-RW drive?

Also, no way are you going to get a C2D 2.- Ghz in a 1.5k laptop. Think more like 1.66Ghz. That is more than enough for a lappy.

ok thank you for helping me get my point across

budget: $1250 ish (us dollars)

size: 14-16''

i dont know about icons but im from the united states

no preference in brands

tasks: games like cs:source and things comparable, music, movies, surfing, possibly some low end video audio rendering

usually will be on my desk, but i needs to be transportable for writing papers outside and bringing computer to class/labs

battery life of 3 hours would be nice but im flexible

i plan on buying it online without seeing it first

i want to run vista

i would prefer widescreen with a middle range screen size option i guess 1680x1050

flexible on the gloss or matte of screen, glossy would be nice

i need at about 120gb of hardrive space, but the more the better

and yes i need a cdrw/dvd drive

thanks again for helping me be more specific

Also, no way are you going to get a C2D 2.- Ghz in a 1.5k laptop. Think more like 1.66Ghz. That is more than enough for a lappy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834117492
You could but you would be realy compromising the graphics then so it wouldnt game too well

Also i am from the UK so that makes it kind of harder for me but oh well

I would buy from newegg i think just about every us member can vouch for them

Thiis looks like an OK laptop . http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220165
you might wanna up the ram to 2GB though . ALso i dont know about that graphics card when it comes to gaming although it should be fine for cs:s and half life .even if not on full settings maybe see what other people think first as well though

i mean i trust your opinion in that i dont know all that much, but wahts wrong with teh laptops on ibuypower and such for like $1200/1300 will they not suite my needs? i feel like i can stuff close to what i want for something less than 1.8

Back
Top Bottom