Laptop built for kids

mikelindo

Beta member
Hello. This post may seem trivial, but I am currently looking for a laptop built for a child. When I say that, I'm not talking about the cheap VTech or Leapfrog brands, I'm looking for a durable, drop-able laptop that contains an OS (windows preferred). I realize that there are laptops built for construction etc (Toughbook), but those are probably a little too heavy. Anyway, you get the flow of what I'm trying to say here. If anyone has any suggestions, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks

If a child is too young to take care of a laptop, they are too young to have a laptop.

Basically, get them something like an Eee PC when you feel they are ready (it is more durable than my ruggedized laptop imo) and if they break it, then too bad.

I have a dell b130/1300 and I've put this thing through hell and back and it's still running strong. The only problem I have is my sound card is dying.

If a child is too young to take care of a laptop, they are too young to have a laptop.

Basically, get them something like an Eee PC when you feel they are ready (it is more durable than my ruggedized laptop imo) and if they break it, then too bad.

Exactly. Make the child prove him/herself seeing how well they take care of their toys before spending good money on any laptop. I make a similar mistake buying my son a guitar when he was around 2. So now he's not getting one until he can prove to me he can take care of what he already has.

Thank you guys for all of your suggestions. My son is (and always has been) very conscience of his toys and I think that he's ready for a laptop. But like all kids, he'll probably accidentally drop it here and there. I appreciate those who gave good suggestions -- I'll look into them.

Dropping any laptop is not going to end well, whether it kill the hard drive, the LCD, the battery, or something else. Trust me, one drop and anything but those military grade laptops or a netbook with a SSD are as good as dead.

I can tell you this from firsthand experience. I tripped while carrying my old 12 inch twinhead notebook and lost the LCD, HDD, optical drive, and the battery. In one fall.

Back
Top Bottom