Laptop Brand Opinions

smithy928

Solid State Member
Sorry if this is in the wrong section

I'm stuck in a tough position where I can't decide between 3 (3!!) different laptops. I live in Canada, and found these systems off of Tigerdirect.ca. They are somewhat similar in specs and I would be happy with any of them performance-wise (web browsing, school work, starcraft brood war) but I was hoping for some insight on build quality between these brands and series:

Lenovo G550 2958A4U
:
Half of the reviews I've found praise this thing as being super well-built, tough as hell, and a good bargain. The other half were completely disappointed in its performance/build quality (more than once I stumbled across the phrase "misleading specs"). There doesn't seem to be a middle ground here.
$620
15.6"
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2GHz T6600
3GB DDR3
Integrated Intel Graphics X4500M
6 cell lithium ion

MSI A6200-041US:
I haven't been able to find any real thorough reviews for this thing anywhere. I'm unfamiliar with the brand, I've seen a few of their mobos around but that's about it. I'm mostly drawn in by the core-i3 2.13GHz. Any experience with this company's notebooks and their quality?
$580
15.6"
Intel Core i3 2.13GHz
3GB DDR3
Intel Media Accelerator HD
6 cell lithium ion

Averatec N3442TF1E-1
:
This one I feel more confident about quality-wise. Averatec doesn't have the same reputation as Lenovo, but this machine has a nice lightweight metal case rather than plastic like the other two. My big concern with this machine is pretty widespread reviews of "nice system, terrible battery life". A second battery from Averatec for this series costs $150, and my budget (taxes included) is low- about $750 maximum.
$530
13.3"
Intel Pentium Dual-Core 2.1GHz
3GB DDR2
Integrated Intel Graphics X4500HD
Does not say battery type on company or retailer website. On a laptop comparison site it said 2 cell, but I didn't even know that laptop batteries under 3 cells existed.

Thanks a lot for any thoughts/experiences you may have about these three.

Okay, I posted the specs that seemed relevant. Names also now link to the retail site.

Not looking to play Starcraft 2, just the original brood war

I'm not a heavy gamer, I'm getting rid of my desktop that I bought for gaming due to lack of use. Now I'm downsizing to a cheaper laptop for school stuff.

Do you have any recommendations of where I could look online (sites that ship to Canada) where I might find a better system?

Lenovo has a reputation for a reason. If I'm picking out of the three you have up there I will buy the Lenovo

I like MSI for Motherboards not laptops.

Anveratec who? Let someone else's money test them

Back
Top Bottom