Just got a new videocard and it seems to overheat.

OTSS

In Runtime
Alright so I just got an 8600GTS 256MB card and played a game and got BSOD. I downloaded NTune and checked my temps and they would say 67C and now they are down to 58C but that still seems high. I wonder if it could be the cooler is just shit. I tried to raise fan speed but couldn't really figure it out.

Now my old Video card had a Zalman VF700 fan on it. Would that be compatible with this card and if so would it even be an improvement because it is kinda of an old fan.

Ntune is kinda odd in the fact that once you do raise the fan speeds, it reverts back to default speed at next boot. You can't save the settings.

Give RivaTuner a try. It's a powerful tweaking tool that you can also use to control the fan speeds.

I just found out that my Zalman VF700 will work with my card. Is it an improvement over the stock fan?

I'm pretty sure that would be an improvement.

And I don't think those temperatures are that high. Someone will chime in soon.

Alright I just got rivatuner. Wonder if it will help with the stock fan for now because I have no thermal grease.

Everytime I start Unreal Tournament 3 I can sometimes play and sometimes on startup I get BSOD, and sometimes I play a game and I get BSOD.

Have you tried getting the latest drivers for the video card? Try uninstalling/reinstalling them.

Yeah I just bought the video card yesterday. I uninstalled my old ATI drivers and installed the newest Driver from EVGA.

67C is not overheating. Video card temperatures are not to be looked at the same as CPU temperatures. If your getting BSODs, write down the stop error #, then google it.

Try running memtest as well. Most of the time, an overheating video card will cause artifacts, not crashes.

Back
Top Bottom