Just got a Job, Wanting to Upgrade my PC

JoODoN

Beta member
Alright, im 15 and I just got a Job working at a Grocery Store for 8$ an Hour... not much, but meh. I bought a EMachines Computer about a Year ago.

EMachines Specs:
-----------------------------
* AMD Athlonâ„¢ XP 3200+ Processor
QuantiSpeedâ„¢ Architecture operates at 2.200 GHz
512KB L2 cache & 400MHz FSB
* Microsoft® Windows® XP Home Edition
* nVIDIA® nForce™2
* 512 MB DDR (PC 2700)
* 160 GB HDD (7200 RPM) 1
* DVD±RW Drive (Write Max: 8x DVD±R, 4x DVD±RW, 32x CD-R, 16x CD-RW; Reads 40x CD, 12x DVD); 48x Max. CD-ROM Drive
* 8-in-1 Digital Media Manager (USB 2.0, Secure Digital (SD), Smart Media, Compact Flash, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Micro Drive, Multimedia Card)
* nVIDIA® GeForce4™ MX graphics (1 AGP 8x slot available)
* nForceâ„¢ 6-channel Audio
* 10/100Mbps built-in Ethernet
* 56K ITU v.92 ready Fax/Modem
* Premium Plus Multimedia Keyboard, 2-Button Wheel Mouse, Amplified Stereo Speakers
* 5 USB 2.0 ports (4 in back; 1 in Media Reader), 1 Serial, 1 Parallel, 2 PS/2, Audio-In & Out
* 7.25"w x 14.125"h x 16"d
* AOL 3 month membership included, click here for details
*Copied from eMachines.com*

I bought a

XFX GeForce FX 5500 / 256MB DDR / AGP 8X / VGA / DVI / TV Out / Video Card

Just as a Temporary Video Card so I can play Guild Wars / World of Warcraft.

I want to upgrade my comp so I can play the best of the best of games. I also need a new monitor, I still got those big ones... =(. I dunt got that much of a Budget, I will probolay be making around 140$ a Month, mebe more... Can anyone suggest what I should get first??

The RAM is the easiest and cheapest thing to upgrade, but the best of the best of games will probably require over 1GB of RAM, and I'm not so sure about PC2700. PC3200 at low latencies would be ideal, but you might get away with it.

Then try get your hands on a socket-939 Venice-core Athlon 64 4000+ if you can, but if not, then a lower one will probably be suffice.

acphenom said:
Then try get your hands on a socket-939 Venice-core Athlon 64 4000+ if you can, but if not, then a lower one will probably be suffice.

That would require a whole new motherboard and everything, but if you do want to do that I would suggest just getting the 3700+. It is cheaper and I have mine overclocked to 4000+ speeds on sotck cooling

you might have a hard time upgrading that Emachines because of the proprietary components they use. you might have to buy some stuff straight from them if you want to upgrade it. you might be better off just buying a new case if you are going to do a lot of upgrading.

look man, my comp is pretty similar.... the major differences are i have nForce 3 Chipset.... and more upgrades... i play battlefield 2 fine with mycomputer
i saved a hole lot of money just buying a new vid card and more ram - instead of upgrading.

heres what id think you should get if you dont wanna go dish out a good grand for a new computer. Cause your comp is still good, no need to upgrade in my point of view.

First:
Throw out that ram get at least 1gig(2x512mb) of PC3200 that'll help quite a bit
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=586829&Sku=ULT30215

Second:
Geforce 6600 is good, but for an extra 60 bucks? or so you get the GT version. This card will give you the most bang for your buck - ask anybody in this forum. 200$ CND
If your on a budget 128mb version.... if you can spare extra cash get the 256mb version.
http://www.anitec.ca/?mode=product_detail&pid=4160&mcid=24

Third:
Your monitor, if your going LCD wise try to make sure when your buying one that the MS is 12 and under preferably. MS btw is how long the screen takes to react to what you want it to show.

I quite like kyleman's proposal. I'd just like to add that you should try get CL2 PC3200 SDRAM. 2 would be the first number in a string of latency numbers.

Back
Top Bottom