Just Dual booted problem

Thelis

Golden Master
Hey everyone, I have a bit of a problem.

I installed windows XP onto my laptop that already had vista installed on it. The problem is when I turn my laptop on now, there is only one choice: XP. I do not have my Vista DVD seeing as my laptop came with Vista pre-installed.

I also do not have access to the internet on my laptop now.

I know that Vista is still installed seeing as how when I click on Disk Managment, Vista is still a partitiopn and it says that is Healthy.

Any idea how I can get into that Vista Partition?

if you do have a windows cd boot into it and click repair using the recovery console. dosent matter what version of windows you log in to. then type in diskpart. this should allow you to set your vista partion as the boot partion.

the reason this happened is because vista uses a seperate boot manager so vista has to boot first unlike dual booting for example 2000 and xp the order wouldnt matter.

do you see an option to set a partion as a boot or system

you cant be in windows or are you on another computer

Right now I am on another computer, but when I run diskpart on the one with windows, there is no option.

hmmm ill try to find a way how to just give me a while you can go ahead and boot back into xp if you want but i would just leave it there takes a while to get into the prompt

Wait, I am not supposed to be in windows? The how do I get in to diskpart?

Edit: I do not have my Windows CD... it is a burned ISO, and it does not offer diskpart.

you have to set the "active partion" as the one with vista on it does it have an option that says set active partion sorry i cant spell partion lol

you have to NOT be in windows but you can make a bootable cd with a command prompt on it ill give you a link on how to just let me find

wait do you have a floppy??

no, it is on a lap top...

Actually I get to the point where I select the volume with vista on, but I cannot assign it to be the active

boot back into xp and open up computer management it is in administrative tools in the control panel and open up disk management and right clock the vista partion does it let you set it as the active partion there?

Back
Top Bottom