Just added second HDD, slowing everything downnnnn

Jesus Is Here

Solid State Member
Hi there

I just recently added a second HDD to my computer and ever since i did it has been slowing my computer downnn ruggedly

By slowing down i mean when i restart my comp it takes about 5 minutes and it shouldnt lol and just generaly slwoing my machine down, viewing web pages, opening programs ect.

Now, i had a second HDD before, and everything worked fine, it was a 40 GB seagate, i got this other HDD a 160 GB Samsung SP1604N (Spinpoint) and im hvaing al these problems now.

I reformatted it with partion magic, i did a secure erase which took about 16 hours to complete lol and im still haveing problems. the drivers installed fine, i can put files on the HDD, just takes longer than it rightfullly should...its set as my slave with the jumpers, its connected to my slave cable, my first HDD is set by the jumpers to be the master wiuth slave present...just confused

Now i was maybe thinking because my second HDD is biggier than my first....could that cause problems ?? thats the only thing i could see that would give me problems..

this is what i got for a system just for referance....

HP Pavilion A712N
Windows XP Home edition
CPU- 2.8 intel P4
1 GB RAM SDRAM
Lite-On DVD burner
256 MB ATI Radeon 9200 series graphics card
Master HDD- 120 GB Western Digital
Slave HDD(problem one)- 160 GB Samsung SP1604N

Anyways if anyone could help me I'd be very apprciative, Thanks to anyone who helps

The cable would be the first place I'd look, it could possibly be faulty or have a faulty plug.

I'm presuming it is a 80 wire cable?

May be a faulty drive too (it does happen) can you test the drive in another pc?

Have you tried putting it on its own controller, and not as a slave?
Also, if one is SATA, and ones IDE, this happened with me, as it did seem to slow down quite a bit.

You say you have the 160GB drive jumpered as slave and it's on the slave cable. If you have it on it's own cable plugged into the secondary IDE connection on your motherboard, it should be jumpered as master being that it is the only device on the secondary channel. That could cause the slowdown during boot up.

Well the second HDD was origanly the HDD that came with this computer, one of the 80 pins got like bent, and i had to go out and buy the western digital one.

I fixed the second HDD(samsung), was just a bent pin, simply fix, i didnt seem to think so at the time so i got the western digital.

I neeeded more space badly so i fixed the samsung hdd and now im having problems lol maybe the drive is jsut screwed??

I did try just hooking it up as a master and i get a disc boot error, tried to even install windows on it for the heck of it and it wont even do that, just freezes my comp...

Cables are all fine, everythings mint, so it must just be this HDD?

why would windows recognize it, install it, and let me put stuff on it like it works fine, but jsut slow my computer down ruggedly

so frustrating!!!lol

also i dunnno if its a IDE or SATA...they both have the 80 pin hook up, they both hook up exactly the same...

The Samsung 160GB is an ATA/133 (IDE) drive.

You set it as master on it's own cable attached to the secondary IDE connector on the motherboard? Is the boot order set correctly in the BIOS?

The second harddrive is on the slave connection on the PRIMARY cable

like it should be right ?

first harddrive is on the master of the PRIMARY, second harddrve is on the slave of the primary cable...thats how it should be right? thats how i had it before with my other hardrive before i put the samsung in....

everythings mint i swear, everythings hooked up right in sure, if im doing something wrong please tell me lol

Yup, that's the proper setup. You could have a bad drive. Try going to Samsung's site and downloading their HUTIL software that will test and diagnose any problems with the drive.

I had a similar experience with an old drive that was bad. The computer would refuse to boot with it hooked up in any configuration.

i did download the HUTIL program, sorry should of mentioned this before, i ran it and it didnt detect any samsung drives on my computer, and it is def a samsung SP1604N, says it right on the thing...

but my computer recognizes the harddrive as a samsung SP1604N, it has it installled, it lets me put files on it too...just slows my computer downnn

it has to be a bad HDD then huh ?

Hmm . . . Try running that program with just the Samsung drive installed as master. Since it runs off a bootable CD or floppy, you wont have any need for the drive with the OS just to test it.

Back
Top Bottom