ITX vs. MicroATX (or just ATX)

cboucher

Fully Optimized
Does anyone here have any experience installing an ITX motherboard into a MicroATX (or ATX) case? What about PSUs? Will a regular ATX PSU even plug into an ITX motherboard? I'll probably just have to try it and see how far I get. I was just wondering if anyone had done it (or tried and ran into problems).

Thanks guys...

ATX PSU will fit in a Mini-ITX motherboard. I don't think it fits an ATX case but I'll try it real quick. Be back in a few minutes :)

Matches up with four screws perfectly. So yes, you can use an ATX/MATX case and an ATX/MATX PSU.

So much room!
4344571147_d09a1afe11.jpg

The downside of ITX boards is that it has one DIMM slot...sometimes two, but never four. So if you're expecting more than 4GB, forget it.

Some has PCI-E, but the majority doesn't. Most of them comes with Low-end Celerons or Atoms, but some has sockets. It all depends on what you want in there.

Price is a factor too.

Not all cases have the proper holes for ITX boards, but quite a few do. Mostly it's the ones with stamped standoffs that don't.

Not all cases have the proper holes for ITX boards, but quite a few do. Mostly it's the ones with stamped standoffs that don't.
Yeah, I bought a case not too long ago that had the kind you screw in to the threaded holes in the case, there were tons of different positions you could put the standoffs in so I'd imagine a case like that would have holes that line up with just about anything.

ATX PSU will fit in a Mini-ITX motherboard. I don't think it fits an ATX case but I'll try it real quick. Be back in a few minutes :)

Matches up with four screws perfectly. So yes, you can use an ATX/MATX case and an ATX/MATX PSU.

So much room!
4344571147_d09a1afe11.jpg

Cool, thanks for trying that out. My wifes ITX PC has a blown PSU and I wanted to just take everything out of that tiny case and put it into an ATX case. Yeah, 4 screws are plenty. I'd settle for 3...

Thanks again.

I just don't get why you want an itx mobo in an atx case....

do you already have it or something?

I don't want to spend $50 on an ITX PSU. I'd rather frankenstein it with some spare parts to get it going again.

And yes, I already have it...

Back
Top Bottom