Issue when trying to game

CannonballGB

Solid State Member
Howdy, new here and I figured I could get some help here and hopefully not resort to having to pay to get my computer fixed.

So here's the issue. I've had my computer for around 3 years now. Only thing I've changed is the video card since my 7900GT crapped out on me with some overheating issue and I got an 8800GT around a year ago to replace it.

Starting around November I had issues playing games. I would get 2-5 minutes into playing and all the sudden my graphics would start artifacting like crazy which is what happened with my old 7900GT, but I don't think my 8800 is overheating. The temperature reads at a steady 107 F usually whenever I play games. To try to make sure it wasn't overheating I opened the case and had a fan blow around my card like I used to have to do with my 7900.

Now I've discussed this with some other people before and recommended that I reformat, which I did. I reinstalled all my drivers and everything and I still get the same thing. This ONLY happens whenever I play any game, whether it be WoW, DoW, etc. Before I formatted I was getting artifacting on my screen saver which was the fish tank.

I did the reformat thinking that it would fix a possible corrupted file, but it doesn't look like that was the case.

Anyone have any ideas? And thanks in advance for any help.

What operating system does it have?
I've got Windows XP, but when I reformatted it was with a different disk. So I think it's a different service pack or something like that.
Have you tried lowering the graphics settings in-game to see if it still does it?
I tried in WoW but still didn't help at all. The only game I've ever had to take it easy with my graphics settings is Project Reality for BF2.
Also try quitting other apps that are open and see if that helps
I've tried that to no avail.

Try blowing dust out of the fan or cleaning out the inside of the computer with one of those little cans of air for blowing dust out of computers. That may help.

Jeez..you're sure you're downloading the correct drivers?

Is it possible the CPU is getting too hot?
I mean I'm pretty sure I've got the right drivers. I'm no computer whiz. Maybe you all can post the link for the right drivers?

8800GT 512MB
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+
Sound Blaster Audigy 4
Network is DirectPlay8 I believe?
Try blowing dust out of the fan or cleaning out the inside of the computer with one of those little cans of air for blowing dust out of computers. That may help.
That's what I did the last time I had the issue, but I'll try again.

Well I got some Dust Off and sprayed the inards of my computer with it, then I downloaded drivers for my processor. I was able to play DoW for about 20-30 minutes with no issues and then I got artifacting. I restarted the game and lasted about 15 minutes until I got artifacting. I really have no idea what else to do.

Back
Top Bottom