Internet Explorer on a go slow

Northerner1

Solid State Member
For some unknown reason IE (Ver 6.0.29) now takes AGES to start up.When it eventually starts ( after about 60 secs), pages load quickly but when I click on the Address Bar, I get an egg timer for about 90 secs. I recently updated to XP Service Pack 2 but i'm almost certain that IE ran OK after the update for a couple of days. I am also running Photoshop Elements 2.0 and that too now takes an eterrnity to fire up. Norton Antivirus is installed and reports no viruses.

Added to this I am now getting a warning that DEP has shut down the Generic Host Process but I don't really understand what it's telling me because when I click to close it just pops back up again and wants to send an Error Report to microsoft.

Any ideas what's happening - thanks

defrag your hard drive and see if that helps. Also make sure you only have a few startup items. and very few background tasks running.

Also make sure you only have a few startup items. and very few background tasks running.

brother I could not agree more with you. I see a lot of people with a gazillion of those icons in the taskbar and wonder why their computer runs like a pinto.:D

Thanks to everybody for their suggestions, but the problem lay elsewhere. I just bought and installed an HP PSC 2510 multifunction printer, scanner, fax etc. It's a wireless network printer and setting up the software ain't that easy!. Completely uninstalled and started from scratch using a slightly different approach and everything's back to normal

thanks again all

sorry i'm late on the subject, but you can also turn off the error reporting by doing this:

start/right click my computer-properties/advanced tab-error reporting/ put a check in the box that says disable error reporting.

Back
Top Bottom