Installing Windows

sztal

Solid State Member
I am about to install a new HDD inplace of the current one. I have backed up all my files on DVD but my question is whether I can install windows using the ReInstall CD that came with my Dell computer. Is there anythother way of installing the OS?

sztal said:
I am about to install a new HDD inplace of the current one. I have backed up all my files on DVD but my question is whether I can install windows using the ReInstall CD that came with my Dell computer. Is there anythother way of installing the OS?
your reinstallation from delll is kinda like a system restore to dells origional settings... it's not really a windows OS

basically.... dells software is just going 2 restore it 2 something like it was when u first got it. to whipe the hardrive and install windows from scratch you'll need the actual OS. so if u want to do that then pretty much yea u have to buy windows or bootleg it.... which is illegal

No, that is wrong, well, it depends.

My DELL disc, is just a standard XP disc, with a DELL logo on it, the only thing different about the installation, is the fact, the disc leaves a folder, called "DELL", in the C drive, which you can just delete.

If the disc is fairly new, i.e. 4-5 years, the disc maybe just a standard XP disc.

Just try it, no harm in trying - what's the worst that can happen? - It won't work? Oooohhh...!

The dell disk will probably work if the only thing you changed is the hard drive. Most hard drives don't have specific drivers or whatever. If it doesn't work, you don't need to go buy Windows again. All you have to do is use Norton Ghost (or some other freeware alternative), install your DELL cd on the old drive, and then use Ghost to transfer it to your new Hard Drive (using the expand partition automatically option).

Ghost will make sure all settings that worked on the old HD will work on the new.

Really though I can't imagine why the DELL disc wouldn't work in the new HD anyways.

Back
Top Bottom