Installing Windows

EricM

Daemon Poster
When you are installing windows do u need to have an internet connection first? or can u just install windows without being hooked up to the internet... ive seen many videos on building pc's which show them connecting the ethernet cable before they install windows... isnt it a good idea to install windows then install a antivirus and firewall first?

what about the activation? you need an internet coonection for that, oh wait, you can use the phone though...

No you dont need a internet connection, you dont even have to call them. When you hook the computer back onto the internet xp will automatically register and if its not a legit key then it will only last 30 days I think. Yeah once you install XP its good to get antivir and a firewall, even though xp has its own firewall.

you can stop the windows activation thing by disabling a process in services.msc or another one...i cant remember

Dev0115 said:
No you dont need a internet connection, you dont even have to call them. When you hook the computer back onto the internet xp will automatically register and if its not a legit key then it will only last 30 days I think. Yeah once you install XP its good to get antivir and a firewall, even though xp has its own firewall.

Thats how i've always seen it done as well.

You are best not to connect to the net before SP2 is installed (XP) because if you do then the blaster worm will get you in a matter of minutes if not seconds, leave the net connection unplugged until you have installed Windows, SP2, your AV and firewall (if you choose not to use the windows one) then once those are complete the first thing you do is update windows from Microsoft site, if you have auto updates enabled it will do it automatically when you connect to the net.

Back
Top Bottom