Installing a usb thingy

Midol

Solid State Member
Hey my friend got a new phone and while she is installing it it is doing the drivers and stuff how windows does it by itself and then it just stops and sits there and does nothing.

What would you recommend trying?

Is the phone connected to the computer while she is installing the drivers? Some phone software is real tricky and fussy..

Try connecting the phone to computer then install software.. If that fails. uninstall any software that installed. remove phone then install without phone.

You could try the phone's website. You usually can contact them about any software or hardware problems you have...you did lay down good money and all...

Yeah I know all too well how Windows can just pretend it hasn't got anything to install.

I would suggest to try safemode (f8 at bootup) yet earlier windows (the fact you have to install a driver yourself) do not detect usb devices, as my usb mouse used to stop working in safemode, though you could try it.

Plus you could try installing it manually. Has the driver cd you got by any chance got an EXE file to install it automatically? Or has it only got an Inf file for you to do manually from add/remove hardware.

Go to control panel though, and to System.

Then go to the hardware tab, and to Device Manager.

Now open some of those, and check for a name that sounds like the phone (will have a question mark or an 'X' if its not working or installed right)
and un-install it from here by opening up the properties of it if its there, because since if it failed the first time, doing it again could just make things worse.

Then go to Add/Remove Hardware in the Control Panel with the phone plugged in and let it scan for new devices. Now if it finds it, insert the driver disc and browse for it.

I hope this helps :)

I will tell her all of this, or more likely go do all of this for her and then come back and let you know about my success.

Sounds like Kage is on the right path but now i have a question... what does your computer do with a .inf file and then .exe?

An .inf tells the computer the information about the device your installing so if i gave the computer a memory stick .inf it will no the device is a memory stick and an exe self exectuing file will probably extract the files to a location were you take the add hradware wizard. An exe will automatically do the inf buit for you if one is included usually called setup.exe.
Steven

Back
Top Bottom