Installing support for mp3 on Ubuntu

iPat

Baseband Member
Which files do I need to download to allow Ubuntu 9.04 to play files that are in the mp3 format? The Ubuntu is not connected to the internet, so I have to boot into another OS in order to download the files first and then transfer them by flash drive to Ubuntu. I will have to do this every time the computer boots. How do I get all the necessary files, and where do I put them? Also, will it be likely that it will be possible to play DVDs on Ubuntu if I install it to the HD? Also, is it possible to put the ISO image on the HD and then boot from the DVD and then switch to using the image stored on the hard drive?

Here I have the 9.04 release installed onto usb flash drives as well as also seeing Knoppix unpacked on another. I will be waiting to see if the sound driver for the sound card used here will install correctly. Hopefully I'll eventually have video playback in addition to sound and playing back mp3 files working.

If you are booting from a live cd you may have problems when any playback since you are not able to install anything onto a live cd. A direct installation to a partition/drive should then everthing go on and run normally.

For connecting online a great deal of that will depend primarily on the type of connection you have there. When going as far as changing ISPs lately since the old dsl setup lacked 64bit driver support the cable account automatically saw the 64bit and Linux for the first time connected online! The old dsl setup was strictly usb while cable is by way of ethernet.

I have no trouble with audio. It's just the patented formats that it refuses to play. II can play ogg files just fine, for example. How do I get support for the patented ones?

Try installing audacity.

I know there are some codecs u may or may not need after installing it.

Try the ubuntu forum. I am debian user, not many other linux users here. MPEG support comes built in to debian so i never fooled with it.

wish i could help more.

I successfully downloaded the restricted extras, and it seems to work. I have the live dvd, so I can't play other dvds at the moment. Is it true that it will only be able to play unencryptrd dvds? Does that mean that Region encoded dvds won't play?

Back
Top Bottom