Installing new drive in laptop

scrapnel

Beta member
Motherboard: HP Pavilion zd8000 (EC3030UA#ABA)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 521, 2800 MHz
Memory: 512MB, dual (need to upgrade badly)
Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon X600
(computer specs)

Sorry, not sure if there's anything else that would help to know. If there is, let me know.

I just got my old HP Pavilion zd8215us laptop up and running again after something was messed up for a few years. As it's a rather outdated model, the hard drive only has 80gb of storage, and I want to upgrade to a WD Scorpio Blue 500gb drive. I've never done anything like this before so I've been trying to read up on things and make sure it's all possible. From what I've gathered, I need to install a card to my laptop to allow me to install a SATA II drive (my laptop currently has an IDE drive). So these are my questions:

1) Is that all I have to do to be able to install the drive, or is there other hardware I need to upgrade/add?
2) What card would you recommend?
3) I'm pretty sure this is a stupid question, but there's no way to install more than one hard drive in a laptop, right? (I would like to run Windows and Mac without an emulator, but I realize this is likely not possible.)
4) Just as an extra, most of what I'm doing on this computer is going to be video editing (potentially some gaming too). I've never changed out a graphics card in a computer so I don't know much about them. Would you recommend upgrading? (And if so, to what?)

Thanks so much! Sorry for the lack of knowledge.

I've never changed out a graphics card in a computer so I don't know much about them. Would you recommend upgrading? (And if so, to what?)

You're stuck with the video card that originally came with the computer.

You cant change Graphics cards out of Laptops only about 2% of the laptops can.
This is because the onboard graphics are on-board (hence the name). So they are not a removable card, rather a chip that is stuck on the mainboard.

Motherboard: HP Pavilion zd8000 (EC3030UA#ABA)
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 521, 2800 MHz
Memory: 512MB, dual (need to upgrade badly)
Video card: ATI Mobility Radeon X600
(computer specs)

Sorry, not sure if there's anything else that would help to know. If there is, let me know.

I just got my old HP Pavilion zd8215us laptop up and running again after something was messed up for a few years. As it's a rather outdated model, the hard drive only has 80gb of storage, and I want to upgrade to a WD Scorpio Blue 500gb drive. I've never done anything like this before so I've been trying to read up on things and make sure it's all possible. From what I've gathered, I need to install a card to my laptop to allow me to install a SATA II drive (my laptop currently has an IDE drive). So these are my questions:

1) Is that all I have to do to be able to install the drive, or is there other hardware I need to upgrade/add?
2) What card would you recommend?
3) I'm pretty sure this is a stupid question, but there's no way to install more than one hard drive in a laptop, right? (I would like to run Windows and Mac without an emulator, but I realize this is likely not possible.)
4) Just as an extra, most of what I'm doing on this computer is going to be video editing (potentially some gaming too). I've never changed out a graphics card in a computer so I don't know much about them. Would you recommend upgrading? (And if so, to what?)

Thanks so much! Sorry for the lack of knowledge.
My dad has that laptop. It's very outdated. You won't be playin anything but solitair on it. Also, you can't put a sata drive in it. You would need to add a pci card, which you can't do on a laptop. Also, to run more then one operating system (dual boot) you can just make a partition. But to run OSX you will need to have a certain motherboard, which that laptop does not. But I would strongly suggest not investing ANY money in that laptop, and throwing it into the nearest dumpster. Video editing will be a nightmare, and gaming just isn't gonna happen. I would suggest investing $500 in a desktop, and going from there.

There's not much you can do with this laptop. I'd recommend buying a new one since you plan on doing plenty of things with it. What you can do is get a new IDE hard-drive or get an external drive. You can also upgrade RAM, but for upgrades that would be about it.

Back
Top Bottom