Insiron 531 RAM Configuration

jnesmith

Beta member
Hello:

I just ordered a Dell Inspiron 531. It is shipping with 1 GB (2 x 512) DDR2 SDRAM @ 667MHz. OS is Vista Premium 32 bit.

I want to upgrade to 2 or 3GB. While poking around a popular online vendor, I noticed that I could get 2GB PC2 6400 for about the same price as 2GB PC2 5300. However, I think that if I mix 800 Mhz with 667 MHz, all the sticks will default to 667MHz.

Assuming I can get PC2 6400 for essentially the same price as PC2 5300 (all else being equal), is there any advantage or disadvantge to the 800 Mhz? Would I be better off just using the 2 1GB 800 MHz sticks without the 2 512 667 Mhz sticks? In other words, is 3GB @ 667 better than 2GB @ 800?

I really am a novice, so I apologize if I have not provided enough information, or have somehow screwed up the explanation.

I am really looking for advice on the best way to go about upgrading the RAM. Try to take advantage of the RAM coming with the machine vs. start fresh, etc..

P.S.

I don't do any gaming. I will be installing an HD video card, and do some photo and video editing. That's about as demanding as my use gets.

I really appreciate any and all help.

well what are you going to be using it for? 2GB of highspeed should be plenty for just about anything...

Thanks for the reply.

I don't do any gaming, so nothing that demanding. The most demanding things I can think of are: heavy spreadsheet and database work; video (including HD) capturing and viewing. Some video editing.

I was seeing a tradeoff between more capacity and less speed, or more speed and less capacity. Maybe the difference would insignificant, but I wouldn't know. I'm very much a tech novice.

It's the video editing that is concerning me. What application will you be using?

Thanks.

I'll be using Pinnacle Studio Ultimate. Just getting started messing around with editing home videos. I doubt I will do very much of it. Depends on whether the editing bug bites me or not.

I guess another option is just buying an extra 1GB @ 667Mhz. SO my options include at least the following:

2GB @ 667
3GB @ 667
2GB @ 800

I have no idea how significant the differences would be between these options. If they are significant, I don't mind spending an extra $50.

personally i think 2GB of 800Mhz ram will suit you just fine, do you have vista?

Back
Top Bottom