Infared Port on laptop

Is it possible to:

1.use a regular Hi-Fi or TV Remote for Media center

2.Use my laptop as a Universal remote for my TV,Stereo,Cable.....

Throught the Infared Post on my laptop?

1) You might be to purchase a smart remote and use that for media centre.
2) Never heard of anything that can do this, also thats gonna be some size remote (at least ya wont loose it):)

2) Never heard of anything that can do this, also thats gonna be some size remote (at least ya wont loose it)
smile.gif

Nope wont be losing that remote,Nah its to play a few Pranks on people :D

We use laptops for some our clients, for assistive technologies, for example, severely disabled persons, whom have limited movement, but in order for them to have control of their home environment.

For example, press a mouse button and it sends a signal to the curtains to open, lights turn on/off, tv, radio, and nearly anything else that you can think off.

However the existing infra red port is not strong enough and they use another specific controller which plugs into the USB port, also more and more wireless is being used.

I have always had trouble using the infra red port and it normally only works when the devices are right next to each other.

It is possible to get those all in one remote controls to work with MCE, but you have to program all the keys etc.

get a psp. mine can control 100's of tv's. great for prankin :p
@glassey, if the psp's ir port can control a tv from quite far away (works in my kitchen and the regular control struggles) then surely a laptops ir must have some power. although the psp's might have been designed for controlling tv's im not sure. sony have never bothered to implement it into a firmware.

dude_se said:
@glassey, if the psp's ir port can control a tv from quite far away (works in my kitchen and the regular control struggles) then surely a laptops ir must have some power. although the psp's might have been designed for controlling tv's im not sure. sony have never bothered to implement it into a firmware.
can i have the homebrew program you use for that? please :)

dude_se said:

This is Sooo insane great for prankin' people lol

Back
Top Bottom