important question

finfrocka

Solid State Member
ok one of my friends was running limewire and i believe they have a virus. Here is the scenario: it boots up and everything logs right and then it gets to where the windows xp loading thing comes up and the bars show the loading. then the monitor flashes. then it starts to do the loading thing again and then it reboots itself. so i was going to reinstall windows or repair it. so i go into the bios to change the boot sequence. but it is seems to be missing. is it possible for a virus to do that much damage to the bios? if so is the only way to rid the virus to clear the cmos or flash the bios? please help. the friend is a girlfriend and is a nieghbor

thanks for the help in advance

finfrocka

sounds like a virus but viruses usally don't get into the bios, not any viruses I know of anyways.. I would take it into somebody if it's gotten that bad.

Chris

i researched on the internet briefly and it says that it has happend but isn't very common btw nice mobo

finfrocka said:
i researched on the internet briefly and it says that it has happend but isn't very common btw nice mobo
yeah I've never heard of a virus so bad that is messes with the bios so thats why I suggested to take it into a pro to fix it and get it done right.

P.S. Thanks I can't wait untill my computers running.

Chris

A boot virus could cause that kind of bios issues but i myself have never delt with one of that nature.
I am thinking more to the lines that you are just missing the boot sequence line in the bios.... I say this because bios viruses are designed to infect the bios and destroy it not to just play a game with sections of it.

Sometimes the virus can be stopped and removed with a bios utillity scan from a) the built in virus protection from most motherboards or b) from a virus protection program specifically designed to remove bios viruses

A clear CMOS will not remove it.

The first issue I would suspect is a bad driver file that needs to be updated

let me put it this way
mobo= wooden hillbilly model
hd= 20 gig wd
cd/rw= held together with duct tape
floppy= kids have poked jammed knifes in and colored on
and why would they take it to a professional if they could buy a better computer for less
haha i laugh

finfrocka said:
let me put it this way
mobo= wooden hillbilly model
hd= 20 gig wd
cd/rw= held together with duct tape
floppy= kids have poked jammed knifes in and colored on
and why would they take it to a professional if they could buy a better computer for less
haha i laugh

well if you said that much I would've been like "what are you worried about buy a new computer. it'll cost you less money!! :p"

chris

ya but its the only way i get to talk to the girl i like is by the internet
but thats besides in person
not to mention the money involved that i get
and i was hoping to fix it tomorow so could you guys post an answer if you think you have one

ya but its the only way i get to talk to the girl i like is by the internet
but thats besides in person
not to mention the money involved that i get
and i was hoping to fix it tomorow so could you guys post an answer if you think you have one

and it went to the place where it said the boot sequence was and it was no where to be found i spent near half an hour looking for it

while in the bios looking for the boot sequence did you happen to highlight that line and press enter to see the next page.

Back
Top Bottom