Imaging question, need some help

nbacura

Beta member
Sorry for the long winded-ness, here is the situation:

i've got an old P4 machine with an IDE HDD. And I need to copy that image onto a new Intel dual core with a SATA HDD. I put together the new machine a couple days ago. I can't do a fresh OS install as the applications on the old machine can't be re-installed.

I first tried using ghost and successfully created an image and successfully restored it onto the new machine, however the result is:

after POST, it go to the screen that allows you to pick startup normally or last known config and safe modes. Once you pick your selection it restarts the computer.

The bios sees the SATA drive and its set to read as an IDE(can't remember what that setting is called). Using ghost I can see the file structure on that new HDD, just won't boot to it.

I then read that ghost has issues going from IDE to SATA, so I downloaded the trial of Acronis. Made an backup of the c: drive of IDE HDD (old one), made a bootable disk with Acronis and successfully restored that to the SATA HDD, but when I attempt to boot up the computer, same result as above. I also tried putting the IDE HDD in the new comuter but can't boot off it. Using acronis, I can see the file structures of the IDE and SATA HDDs, but I simply can't boot off either. Because its the trial version I can't do clone disk with both HDDs in one machine.

the last thing I see in the POST of the new machine before the safemode screen is a msg that says:

Adapter 1
No disk detected... something like that.

Any ideas?/ Again sorry for the epic novel....

The difference between the two motherboards is the heart of your problem. Windows is looking for the components built into the old system and now that it can't find them it can't boot properly.

Best thing you can do is boot off of an XP disk and do a repair install.

Ok, thanks. I'll try that. I was going to try installing the drivers of the new hardware on the old machine and then image it, therefore having the needed drivers upon boot up. I'll try the repair first. thanks again.

Ok another dumb question, how do I do a repair install? I've gotten into the recovery console and can browse the file structure. What command do I run to repair it?

Nevermind. Figured it out

Back
Top Bottom