IE Download box not popping up

jubilations

Beta member
We have an older Dell PC with W2K SP4 running. After installing W2K, it no longer will pop up the "save or open" box when I try to download something like Adobe Reader (or anything for that matter).

Any ideas? Security settings seem to be ok.

thanks

Please give an example and let me try it.In the meanwhile try DAP
Download Accelerator with a right click.
Google will find it.

cnet download

the first example was when we tried to download Adobe reader. I click on the download icon, and am redirected to a new page that is blank and no download occurs. The page has the little logo like what you get when a picture doesn't load properly.

Most recently I was trying to download spybot from cnet.com, same thing occurs.

thanks

Re: cnet download

jubilations said:
the first example was when we tried to download Adobe reader. I click on the download icon, and am redirected to a new page that is blank and no download occurs. The page has the little logo like what you get when a picture doesn't load properly.

Most recently I was trying to download spybot from cnet.com, same thing occurs.

thanks

I just downloaded Adobe 4.5 a few days ago.This shouldn't happen.
Are you useing IExplore 5.5 or better or maybe another browser like Netscape ?

I am using IE6 SP1. Whether it's Adobe, or any other download, the pop up box asking where to save the file doesn't open. I may do a fresh OS install in the next few days to see what happens.

jubilations said:
I am using IE6 SP1. Whether it's Adobe, or any other download, the pop up box asking where to save the file doesn't open. I may do a fresh OS install in the next few days to see what happens.
How do you go about saying yes ?
You probably won't like this .but how is your mouse behaveing lately.
Is it cordless.Try a 1 click then the enter key for a well known small dl.
You didn't try DAP did you ?
:eek:

the box never comes up to give me the option to say "yes" or choose where to save the download...mouse is fine, what's DAP?

This option might have been disabled when you installed your virus protection software (I am hoping you don't surf without a condom) or pop-up blocker.

These pop up boxes are usually either an activeX application or a pop-up window. So any of these programs could have changed your security settings.

Try disabling pop-up blocker (if installed) and see what happens.

Also go to the site that should pop-up and book mark it. Change your security settings to Medium-Low. Close IExplorer and open it again...settings only change when you completely close out of ALL IExplorer windows.

If that doesn't work, then change your privacy setting to Medium or Low and exit IExplorer and try it again.

If one of these work then you know what is causing the problem. Don't forget to set your setting back to at least medium in security or run your virus protection setup again.

Hope this helps.

I wish I could be more specific on what settings control this download pop-up box exactly.

killerdoberman said:
This option might have been disabled when you installed your virus protection software (I am hoping you don't surf without a condom) or pop-up blocker.

These pop up boxes are usually either an activeX application or a pop-up window. So any of these programs could have changed your security settings.

Try disabling pop-up blocker (if installed) and see what happens.

Also go to the site that should pop-up and book mark it. Change your security settings to Medium-Low. Close IExplorer and open it again...settings only change when you completely close out of ALL IExplorer windows.

If that doesn't work, then change your privacy setting to Medium or Low and exit IExplorer and try it again.

If one of these work then you know what is causing the problem. Don't forget to set your setting back to at least medium in security or run your virus protection setup again.

Hope this helps.

I wish I could be more specific on what settings control this download pop-up box exactly.
I think you nailed it,a Pop Up Stopper.
Some pop ups are friendly fired.Ask my online banker.
:D

Back
Top Bottom