IDE problem...

TheGreyOne

Solid State Member
Just got all my parts installed on my MSI x58 platinum motherboard and i am having problems with my dvd drive. When I power up the dvd drive's little led is just a very dull green and won't spin up or anything. I tried swapping IDE ribbons and DVD drives and still cant get it to work. I also tried the DVD drive in a known good computer and it worked. So I am at a loss, did i get a practice SMT board to polish up on my soldering skills or am i doing something wrong?

Bad ide channel on the board! or the socket has some cold solder points.

Since you know the drive works on another system and you can rule out any bad cable you are left with a board problem of some type. Besides a defect of some type the only other thing to look at would be in the bios to see if the ide controllers are enabled.

Found the problem, it was a combination of the pressure/angle of the ide cables and a pushed pin on my dvd drive that was messin me up.

It figures. I have a round ide cable still in here for a cd drive I would like to toss some time once I get a new sata model to replace it.

But the problem would then be seeing a loose cable simply hanging around due to setting an ide drive for temp use at times or data retrieval for someone else.

Back
Top Bottom