I think my PSU died, fan won't spin.

ck_34

Baseband Member
Hey guys, one time I left my desktop computer on and went up stairs to eat then came back down about 20min later, computer is off. pushed power button few times, nothing. My first thought was the PSU.

I did the PSU loop test with a paper clip jumping the green wire with a ground wire. Flipped the switch on the back of my PSU, nothing happened. I looked at the fan and it twitched a little bit looking like it wants to spin but doesn't. So my PSU is dead?

If so what caused it? poor ventilation or temperature related issue leading to something over heated?

Most importantly I wanna know what caused this. I don't wanna spend a lot on another PSU and repeat this mistake. Planning to get a 500W+ this time around.

btw: this is my PSU and this is my GPU. I think the PSU barely had the power to power everything and now just gives in. I only had it for about 3 months.

any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!!

Hey guys, one time I left my desktop computer on and went up stairs to eat then came back down about 20min later, computer is off. pushed power button few times, nothing. My first thought was the PSU.

I did the PSU loop test with a paper clip jumping the green wire with a ground wire. Flipped the switch on the back of my PSU, nothing happened. I looked at the fan and it twitched a little bit looking like it wants to spin but doesn't. So my PSU is dead?

If so what caused it? poor ventilation or temperature related issue leading to something over heated?

Most importantly I wanna know what caused this. I don't wanna spend a lot on another PSU and repeat this mistake. Planning to get a 500W+ this time around.

btw: this is my PSU and this is my GPU. I think the PSU barely had the power to power everything and now just gives in. I only had it for about 3 months.

any feedback is appreciated. Thanks!!

send it back to Corsair it's still under warranty (3 years), and that psu should be able to power that video card, a system with that video card pulls about 300w max under full load, sounds like you just got a defective psu...

from what I hear Corsair has very good customer support, and see if you can maybe trade it in for a higher wattage (~ 500w psu) and pay the difference if you're really worried about power draw, it shouldn't be much unless you try to trade it in for a high end modular model (HX series)...

^^ hey man. Thanks a bunch.

this is gonna be my first RMA ever with a computer product. im looking at the 550VX.

^^ hey man. Thanks a bunch.

this is gonna be my first RMA ever with a computer product. im looking at the 550VX.

cool, hope they don't send you another lemon, their high end units are top of the line, bit I don't know about their lower end units...

okay so something weird has happened. i took the PSU out of my case and was ready to send it but before i did a last test. i plugged it in and put in the paperclip then turn the switch....boom the fan spins continuously.

this time i checked the voltage on the ATX connectors and all the voltage on the wires had sufficient voltage.

i thought it was boot up again if i put the PSU back in (which i did). turns out it won't. i get a the green indicator light on the mobo and every time i try to switch it on, both the CPU and PSU fan twitches but doesn't spin. the fan on the GPU doesn't move at all.

i checked all the wires, it has voltage. i switched the power and reset button, still nothing, both fans still twitch. i took the PSU out again and put it on another PC, boot up just fine.

so it's a burnt CPU or a dead mobo?

okay so something weird has happened. i took the PSU out of my case and was ready to send it but before i did a last test. i plugged it in and put in the paperclip then turn the switch....boom the fan spins continuously.

this time i checked the voltage on the ATX connectors and all the voltage on the wires had sufficient voltage.

i thought it was boot up again if i put the PSU back in (which i did). turns out it won't. i get a the green indicator light on the mobo and every time i try to switch it on, both the CPU and PSU fan twitches but doesn't spin. the fan on the GPU doesn't move at all.

i checked all the wires, it has voltage. i switched the power and reset button, still nothing, both fans still twitch. i took the PSU out again and put it on another PC, boot up just fine.

so it's a burnt CPU or a dead mobo?

I'm guessing it's both becuase if the mobo is dead the cpu usually is, and it sounds like the mobo to me. If the pc is only 3 monthes old they should both be under warrenty

if i take out the CPU, can i tell if its bad/burnt by looking at it?

becuase if the mobo is dead the cpu usually is

I want to know who told you this so I can slap them in the face. :rolleyes:

I've NEVER had a computer have a failed MB WITH a failed CPU. Ever. I've personally had about 10 failed MBs roll through the shop (none with a failed CPU)...and I've rarely heard of a double failure like this...and I've been on this forum for over 2 years.

Back
Top Bottom