I need some help with Vista file permissions

senyushkin

Beta member
I've been working on a custom desktop, including custom themes, icons, and various software. One of the themes that I wanted to use required that I replace two files (browseui.dll and system32.dll, I think) in order for the theme to operate correctly. In order to do that you have to take ownership of the file, which I did, and then I made a backup of the old files in case something went wrong (which it did). After rebooting, explorer, and anything else that uses a theme (everything) failed to boot. I figured I could pop in my handy dandy live linux CD and change things back. But I can't remove or renane any of the files from the system32 folder. I'm not very good in the linux terminal, so I was wondering if there was a similar way to take ownership of a file like you can in windows? I've tried the chmod (using the GUI menus, of course) and it wont allow me to chages any of those values either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: NM, fedora had problems but ubuntu worked very well (after a few minor problems). Vista is up and running, now I'm off to mess something else up.:p

Back
Top Bottom