I need a device to do this

Fisher

Fully Optimized
Ok this is simple really but the way i want to do it complicates stuff.

As we all know playing video from your computer onto a tv screen is an easy to do task as long as you have the right hardware and connections on comp/tv.

My problem is that the computer i have with all my films on etc will be in the upstairs bedroom and the tv downstairs in the living room. Using wires is out of the question as it too messy and too far away. Sooooo...

What i need is a wireless device that will allow me to stream stuff downstairs to the tv.

Hardware specs:

8800GTX

Tv inputs:

HDMI
2xSCART
Composite
Component
NO S-Video or DVI

Can I somehow use a normal wireless routor to help with this? The one i have is:

http://www.netgear.co.uk/wireless_modem_router_dg834pn.php

Would also like to keep this as cheap as possible but i am willing to pay a little, lets say up to £50?

Use a standard wireless router and a wireless card to do this. I suggest TRENDnet routers, as they are cheap, fast, and fairly reliable. Get an N router and card if you want high speed transfers (good idea here)

Also, since its upstairs, you *might* need high gain antennas and/or a PCI Wireless card with separate antennas (get one with the antennas on a wire, NOT on the card itself) to be able to get a good signal.

Use a standard wireless router and a wireless card to do this. I suggest TRENDnet routers, as they are cheap, fast, and fairly reliable. Get an N router and card if you want high speed transfers (good idea here)

Also, since its upstairs, you *might* need high gain antennas and/or a PCI Wireless card with separate antennas (get one with the antennas on a wire, NOT on the card itself) to be able to get a good signal.

ok still a little confused, i know how to connect the wireless routor to the pc etc, i know how to setup networks but im not sure of how the wireless routor connects to the Tv? is there a stand alone device that connects from the routor to the Tv by one of its inputs?

Wait, do you want the video to go to a HTPC or the TV directly? You need a HTPC to do this.

If you meant to a HTPC, then you set it up like it was a regular wired router, then enter the IP of the router (usually 192.168.10.0) or run the CD it came with to set up security settings. You will then add both computers to the network, and then you can access the files. A live stream is a horrible idea tbh, s if that is what you wanted, don't do it. Just use standard networking to view them.

Back
Top Bottom