I know nothing, please help!

xxclaro

Solid State Member
I'm in desperate need of some professional advice. My knowledge of computers is terribly limited, and yet I need to make a decision in the next few months as to what new computer I need. I don't really want to take some salesmans word on what I should buy, so I must know at least a little bit before I go in.
Right now I have an ancient Toshiba satellite, with a Celeron 995 mhz processor and I think 240mb ram. It serves my current purpose of surfin the net.
However, I am purchasing a high def flash based camcorder, and want to download, edit and burn video. I've been told it takes a very powerful computer to edit and process HD video. I have no idea what that means. Other than that, maybe a couple games is the only thing I'd use it for.
I tried looking up some computers online, but the specs just baffle me. I see dual core, triple core and quad core, and I assume the more the better?
I'm most worried about getting something that can handle HD video, because I'm not sure what it takes. I am in NO way capable of building my own computer, but I know a guy who owns a computer shop and builds custom computers, so maybe that's an option.
I hate being ignorant about something I have to spend money on, so if you guys could give me some basic guidelines, that would be fantastic. I'm hoping to keep things under $750 or so, so I assume that means desktop. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

You don't need the best graphics card available but u can't get the worst one either- like this-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150344

unless your going to use xp I'd recommend at least 2 to 3 gb of ram

Dual core should be good enough for editing

The hard drive space u need is how much u feel you'll use

any dvd r/rw should work

The sound card and ethernet card are usually integrated with the motherboard

The motherboard is pretty much anything compatible with all the parts

Research the pros and cons of each part incase of a problem with the part

We would be more than willing to help you design and build a computer. It's alot easier than most of the pneumatic devices make it sound. xD

Thanks for the advice thus far. I've been reading some of the material linked king up in the replies, and it's quite overwhelming but also interesting. I think maybe I could get some help locally in building one, as a former coworker owns a computer shop in town and builds them too.
So, for the things I need, which is basically editing and making HD video's and maybe a little gaming, what would you guys suggest I get as far as components for my computer? Is there a place most people shop at? I live in Alberta,Canada, so things may be hard to get locally.
Thanks again for all the help thus far, I look forward to learning more.

Build it and learn. Many of the users here built their first computer as preteens.

It is not difficult, it's like Lego. We will look over any parts list you have and make sure you don't screw yourself over.

As for your specific needs, consumer-based video editing only needs a midranged computer.

You should be fine with a dual core clocked from 2-3Ghz, 2-4GB of RAM, unsure about hard drive space--depends what you need, and a decent video card. Maybe something like the ATI HD 4670; although I hardly know anything about "good" video-editing cards.

It's really not difficult; it's about as difficult as making a circuit with an LED.

less difficult then that more like big expensive legos
id suggest either u read and learn till your comfortable to build or
let us pick out a pc for u from a store or website

You could try Newegg.ca for one.

Here's a decent little system that would work well for you: CyberpowerPC Gamer Ultra 7208 . Just add a nice 19" LCD monitor and you're good to go. :D

I checked out that computer, looks pretty good. One question though, is that a dual core processor? I'm a bit concerned because several of the people who have the camcorder I'm buying have stated thatthey were unable to play bacl the full HD video with their dual core's, and said a quad core would be best.I don't know if this is so or not, as I don't really understand how that all works. Also, the video card in that machine, is it HD ready?

Huh. . . I've never heard of people having problems playing HD video with a dual core CPU.

The 9500GT is fully HD compliant: Nvidia - GeForce 9500 GT
# NVIDIA® PureVideo® HD Technology
The combination of high-definition video decode acceleration and post-processing that delivers unprecedented picture clarity, smooth video, accurate color, and precise image scaling for movies and video.

# Discrete, Programmable Video Processor
NVIDIA PureVideo is a discrete programmable processing core in NVIDIA GPUs that provides superb picture quality and ultra-smooth movies with 100% offload of H.264 video decoding from the CPU and significantly reduced power consumption.

Back
Top Bottom