I chose AMD over Intel for my $750 first build but I need help choosing a processor!

Thrasher

Daemon Poster
Hey I'm 17 and I'm still choosing parts for my first build under a budget of around $760 (US currency but I'm an Aussie). I've found all the other parts I need but I can't decide on an AMD processor, PSU and motherboard to go together. I'm confused with the Athlon series being named 'Orleans, Toledo, San Diego, Manchester, Venice, Windsor, Lancaster, Brisbane etc.' when they're basically the same price on NewEgg.com - what is the difference? Like I said I haven't built a computer before and my dad is reluctant about it so I'm typing a document that shows I've done my research about each product before buying it and why they should work together. So far, what I've learned about processors is:

I've been reading a few guides discussing the difference between AMD and Intel processors and there's also a sub-forum at ComputerForums.org dedicated to this debate. Right now, Intel's dual core series processor seems to be far ahead of the competition at the moment dominating in the high end of performance but they are very expensive. While AMD are more cost effective and are still powerful for gaming computers built under a budget.

Here are the other parts I have selected from NewEgg as a guide, I will not be buying from that site because they don't ship internationally but it still makes it easier to browse through so many brands on 1 site.

Computer Case

Video Card

2GB RAM

Hard Drive

Optical Drive

As you can see, NewEgg's price for those is like $340 US so far which will probably inflate to $400 US by the time I order it through a retailer or buy from another website etc. which would cost more for me. I still need an AMD Processor and Motherboard as well as an adequate PSU - all for under $350 roughly to suit my budget.

Purpose of my new computer = almost purely gaming but I'll no doubt buy another Creative Soundblaster card for my Logitech speakers but apart from internet browsing on FireFox, I run XP pro at home.

Edit: Suggestions from Freestyler105 = 1+ reputation point.

Motherboard

Power Supply

The 8600GT is a pretty bad video card for newer games. What games do you plan on playing with this computer?

The RAM is okay, but this G.Skill RAM gives you $15 off if you get an AMD processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231098
So then get the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ for $200 for the combo:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103771

That hard drive isn't bad if 160 gigs is all you need.

This is a great motherboard for only $75:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128034

Here's a decent PSU for $60, it's one of the Rosewills that are decent:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817182017

That's $385 right there, plus your case and DVD burner makes it about $500. That leaves $200 for a video card...since you're not even using Vista, save some money and get a DirectX 9 graphics card for now. This is an awesome card for about that price:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161061

can we see it when it is built

yeah sure! I'd post it as gallery thread but that may not be for 1-3 months, just so you know.

The 8600GT is a pretty bad video card for newer games. What games do you plan on playing with this computer?

Basically only Counter Strike Source online and The Sims 2 with most expansion packs installed. So I wouldn't really be playing the new games like Bioshock, Assassins Creed etc, highly CPU demanding games. I'm getting sick of Role Playing games (apart from TS2), I was never a big fan of Real Time Strategy games basically just First Person Shooters for me!

The RAM is okay, but this G.Skill RAM gives you $15 off if you get an AMD processor so then get the AMD Athlon 64 X2 5600+ for $200 for the combo.

That does look good but sorry when I went to register with NewEgg the other day I HAD to pick an American state but I live in South Australia so I googled it cause I couldn't find their shipping policy on their site and it says that don't ship internationally. I just like using the website because of the large range of product it hosts you know.

However, that motherboard looks really good and I've seen the PSU before, I wondered if there was anything else but I'll use that one then.

I'm still wondering what the difference is between the Athlon processors being named 'Orleans, Toledo, San Diego, Manchester, Venice, Windsor, Lancaster, Brisbane' & etc. Can somebody fill me in or link me to an online resource before I decide on buying something? Otherwise the Processor Freestyler105 suggested looks very good!

They're more like a nickname given to a CPU and each one indicates something different about it or some sort of enhancement to the CPU architecture. Don't worry about any of those CPUs, besides Brisbane which is the only processor worth looking into. Even the mainstream Brisbane is getting dated as new AMD CPU's are coming out this year.

Thanks dude, well it looks like I've got everything I need, that's awesome. amounts to $635 US after currency conversion, that's about $722 AUS and add shipping and price difference outside of New Egg would make it over $800 but I'm really happy that. I don't actually have the money yet haha but atleast the prices will come down a little in 1 or 2 months time. Thanks guys

Back
Top Bottom