I can't charge my Vaio Laptop

TrophyRanger

Beta member
Like many others, I have a Vaio (FX 390K with a MBX-49 Mobo) that I can no longer charge. It gave up on me over a year ago and I with a stroke of luck (and precision placement of the power cord) I was recently able to get it charged. I replaced the DC power jack and that didn't seem to cure the problem. I have read the archives and it sounds like the strip in the mobo that connects to the jack might be broken. The thing that doesn't really add up is that when I check the voltage between the and - battery receptacles (the outer two prongs that the battery plugs into) I get a reading (60 Volts). If the DC power jack is bad I should be getting a reading of 0V right? Any help is greatly appreciated.

you mean the AC to DC power converter?
So you put the converter jack into your laptop and sometimes it doesn't work because you have to place the prong in just right?

Recently, i had a problem with my emachine laptop and thought something was shorting out, the metal prong that connected to the back of the laptop came off the cord and was stuck in the laptop, it broke off in the laptop.. so i had to get the whole power converter replaced.

I would get the converter replaced and if that doesn't work, bring it back and get a new battery.

The charger (converter) is working correctly. I checked it and it is outputing the correct voltage (19.5V). I don't see how the problem can be battery related either because even if the battery was 100% bad, the laptop should still run off of the charger.

Back
Top Bottom