How much would this computer cost?

mrchainsaw

Baseband Member
I want to get a PC that can hold lots of music and movies. I don't care if it can play games or not. I want it to be able to download stuff fast, I want to download music and movies(like full movies and TV shows) from torrents. I don't think I'll need the HDD to be crazy big, maybe 120GB?

So how much would this cost in a PC? How much more would it cost to have it as a laptop?

EDIT: I'll also need a wireless card and maybe a nice monitor(CRTs are fine) to watch movies on.

mrchainsaw said:
I want to get a PC that can hold lots of music and movies. I don't care if it can play games or not. I want it to be able to download stuff fast, I want to download music and movies(like full movies and TV shows) from torrents. I don't think I'll need the HDD to be crazy big, maybe 120GB?

So how much would this cost in a PC? How much more would it cost to have it as a laptop?

hdd-70 (300 gb)
memory-50 (512)
cpu-100 (athlon 64)
mobo-70
case, psu,mouse, keyboards, speakers, ect- 100
monitor-200 (19" lcd)
other stuff I can't think of-50

so about 600 ish for a mid range comp. you could easily buid it for $400, but remember to allow $80 if you want to use windows (as opposed to linux)

I got a Acer T160 at Circuit city for 365 bucks including tax. It has a 17" LCD and a 64-bit AMD processor. It also has a 160gb hard drive. I would look into a Acer computer.

mrchainsaw said:

EDIT: I'll also need a wireless card and maybe a nice monitor(CRTs are fine) to watch movies on.
um dont talk about pirating stuff on here.

Who said he was pirating? Maybe he is on a legal torrent site that has regurally pays for you never know.

I say I could build you one for 400 bucks 500 prob with shipping here would be the specs if you don't want to build your own.

Epox MOBO 478 Socket
Celeron D (2.1 GHz)
160 GIG SATA HDD
512 MB Ram DDR 400
DVD burner
380 Watt PSU
XP home
399 for the system, prob end up at 500 or so if I have to ship it.

If ya got you own OS you can take 80 bucks off it.

Thanks for the help everyone! I forgot to mention I'll also want a DVD/CD burner, but I think some of you included it anyway.

Say I was to put this into a laptop, would the price skyrocket? I don't NEED a laptop, but I'd like to be able to carry around my music and movies. And it'd be nice for school I guess...

mrchainsaw said:
Thanks for the help everyone! I forgot to mention I'll also want a DVD/CD burner, but I think some of you included it anyway.

Say I was to put this into a laptop, would the price skyrocket? I don't NEED a laptop, but I'd like to be able to carry around my music and movies. And it'd be nice for school I guess...

You cant really build a laptop (you can get kits where ya add processor, HDD etc). If your going to get a laptop, you would be better just buying one from somewhere

Basically, for the same performance in a laptop, just double the price. Unless you really need it laptops are not worth it. But, if you just want to carry movies and music to friends houses or where ever, usually there is a PC around so you could get an external HDD. Maybe a 60gb, and an internal 160gb. Than you would have plenty of space for all your movies and whatnot.

Back
Top Bottom