How long till...

Chimaera1

Daemon Poster
How long do you guys think it will take for single cores to become obsolete in the way of 64bit gaming?

And another thing, When socket AM2 comes in s939 gear will come down in price soon after right?

Well I was thinking,
Would it be better to get an AM2 motherboard and processor and put my current hardware with it,
or
Get a s939 Dual Core processor (FX-60 or X2-4800) and replace my AMD Athlon 64 4000+?

The latter would be cheaper for me and gives me room to add another DVD drive or upgrade the GPU. But an AM2 computer with DDR2 RAM Would be better, am I correct?

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. My parents will not be helping me finance my computer anymore, Well atleast not for two or three years.

- Chimaera

Twin CPUs are mainly for Servers. I much rather have two single core CPUs then a Dual Core. Because it's more physical processors and more cache, thus more processing. :)

you ask why? its because there is a lot of latency going from one cpu to another cpu, might as well have them on a single die. And dual processors cost more because in an opteron (2xx, 4xx, and 8xx) there are more hypertransport links and thus drving up the cost.

Socket 939 won't become obsolete. It'll simply be a budget option for those who can't afford AM2. What will be obsolete is Socket 754. Good riddance, I've had my share of pain...:p

i think the sempron line will move AM2 according to the path AMD is taking. Sempron is going to have the Manila core.

Back
Top Bottom