How to find model/make of Compaq DeskPro

dragonfly

Beta member
I have a Compaq DeskPro I am trying to fix and to get an updated BIOS I need to know the model/make of it and I can't figure out where to find the info, its not listed on the case next to the DeskPro logo, I've tried using most of the "random" numbers I found on the labels and the HD to find the make and model and I can't find out what model or make it is, any help? Also "fix" on this pc = not being able to start it up and see, so this is why I have to do it this way and why its starting to annoy me not knowing where to look and how to find it. HP's site has a whole bunch of Deskpro models and series but I just can't pick one to flash the BIOS with, so I need to find exact. I know its a dumb question to ask but maybe you all know where to find it.

Compaq DeskPro's usually have the model number printed on the front of the case. It could also be on a sticker on the back, also know as the system number, near the serial number. I know I don't know the history of this PC, but a BIOS flash seems a little extreme for a computer that won't boot at all. You say it won't start up- exactly what does it do?

I can't tell you exactly because my dad is doing the grunt work of it all and has been working on it longer then me but now if I fix it I can have it so thats why I have started working on it again. So I'll try telling you what I know but I might get something wrong. Once every few years his work sells out the pc's with no O/S and he got one (I should also note that my dad's work place could have messed something up taking the O/S off of them, so not sure where the problem is exactly), had his friend put XP on it, and it ran well for a little bit, we used it, had it up on the network and internet and everything, and well the friend never activated it so somehow I am guessing that messed it up or something (I am not totally sure like I say) and then it wouldn't start up (by that I mean we do get a screen and such with an error message, so its fixable if we figure it out, just can't get to installing an O/S on it right now), so he took the HD out and put another one in and the one we put in is dead so we took it out and put the other one in, it starts up and then we get the 1782 Disk Controller Failure. We've tried switching out the cables and even erasing the battery, but still get it. I read up on some other forums that I could need a BIOS upgrade and that might make the BIOS read a bigger HD or a newer one then it is used to, but to get that I need the model number of the Compaq to get it off the site. I've tried looking on the front, no luck there :( On the front all I get is "Compaq DeskPro", on the back of the case I get "DPEN SFF/NPC NA CTO" (whatever that is) then the serial number but nothing else. On the bottom of it I have "314280-003" then "CT:L2CC70E6JIT2SG" on a sticker towards the middle and I thought the top one was it, but I tried running it through Compaq with no luck. On the back of it there's another small label with the serial on it but nothing else. And we have another Dell pc in the same boat as this one with the 1782 Disk Controller Failure.

So it was working with a clean install of XP? Did it just stop working after 30 days? If so it sounds to me like an activation problem. Have you got an XP disc? If so then ya gonna need to install it and activate it. Also ya say you have replaced the harddrive, and then changed it back and the problem started then. Sounds like you havent reinstalled it properly or ya have damaged something when ya have changed it.

If you're looking to flash the BIOS, just look for the right BIOS for the motherboard. The model number can usally be found in small print on it somewhere.

Ya it was running great with a clean install. I am not sure if it was 30 days or not but ya I think it was and the activation is what did it in because it was never done and we had thought it was. ya we have a 95 disc and a 98 disc and XP upgrade discs once we install 95 or 98. we try installing but we can't get past that 1782 message, any idea on how to get past that? Also what do you suggest to make sure we reinstalled that drive right?

Back
Top Bottom