How do i find out what kind of slot i have?(agp or pci)

Towerz

Solid State Member
I've been to lots of sites and they tell me i can find out by opening up my pc and looking but i really can't tell because both the pci and agp slots look the same to me =[. So is there a way to be able to tell what kind of slot you have without having to open it up?

how old is your computer, what model is it?

to find out exactly what model it is go here: http://www.crucial.com/ go to step 1 and choose your manufacturer, on step 2 under "Not sure what you need? No problem." click on Crucial System Scanner, and it should tell you what kind model computer you got.

Then after to agreeing to a form you'll come to a new page saying "Get Maximum Performance From Your *computed model name will be filled in here* Series By Adding More Memory!"

And thats how you find out what model you have, if you post that i'll tell you if you have an agp, pci, or pci-express slot (only the newest computers have pci-express slots).

The AGP slot is always the first slot that is offset a little to the right on the motherboard. Best way is to open it up and look. Using that website above works well too.

Most of the time, the AGP slot is a different color than the rest of the PCI slot.

Example:

http://www.newegg.com/app/Showimage.../13-137-046-01.JPG&CurImage=13-137-046-06.JPG

The AGP slot is the light blue one towards the middle of the motherboard. The dark blue one is like a communications slot (also PCI)which I never use. I guess you can stick your modem down there. What function does it serve? I don't know.

well hes tryinfg to figure out which one he has. And really the only difference is one is larger then the other, but looking at an agp slot without something like a pci slot to compare it too does you no good, unless someone wants to be a buddy and measure how big a agp slot is with a wooden ruler, (if your gunna do that make sure the ruler is all wood, no metal sides or you might mess up your computer and which is why im not doing it :p)

Argh.. i still don't have any idea what i have because my motherboard is arranged differently then the ones that i have seen in the pictures..and that scan on www.crucial.com doesn't work for me..i have a compaq presario but i changed the motherboard because my old one got messed up somehow. Is there a way to tell what your motherboard manufacturer is?

Back
Top Bottom