How to Determine Hardware Problem

peetdw

Beta member
I have and averatec 4265 laptop with Vista. It was freezing badly. No viruses found. Ran tests and they showed Hard Drive writing slow or nothing and video card not working well. I got a new Hard Drive (ATA). After install it began to act the same, then it shut down and cannot find the HD. Tested HD and RAM and then tried again, same result. Bios cannot find the HD now even though it passed the tests. How can I determine if this is a hardware problem? Thanks for any help.

Ran tests and they showed Hard Drive writing slow or nothing and video card not working well.
that sounds like software issues. Two completely unrelated things giving you issues

I'm not sure that I follow you. Your hard drive is not being detected during POST or Vista. How are you testing the Drive?

I tested the drive using the Western Digical Diagnostic Tool (not the formal name) using the ISO file. It was giving errors at first saying that it could not find the drive, but then after a few tries it came back with no errors. It's almost as if sometimes it knows the drive is there and then it disappears.

Sometimes the drive is recognized in the bios and sometimes it's not. During install of vista, sometimes it shows the drive to install to and then other times it is missing and shows no drive.

My extended warranty ran out in December. Is there anyway to test the motherboard?

Not really.

If you think the laptop is worth saving, you can buy a new one and replace it. eBay is a good place to check. Look for broken laptops of the same model as well. Ones with busted LCDs seem to go cheap. So do completely stripped ones.

Back
Top Bottom