How can i get the most out of this computer?

Le 3eme oeil

In Runtime
Right now the only computer I have is my family's approximately 6 year old dell. Its a dell dimension 4500 with a pentium 4 processor. This is what I use everyday and will use everyday until i finally do my first build.

I was wondering what are all the things i can do to make this run better than it is right now?

The thing is, with this computer the performance goes up and down. It us currently running at 1794 MHz and is going smoothly for what it can be like. I have had a bunch of problems with this going extremely slow and having all sorts of other errors in the past that my uncle has had to fix. For a while i couldn't even boot the computer because when I would turn it on it would get stuck loading xp and go to the blue screen or just go all black and say stuff.

Could stuff like defrag make this fun faster?

hmm the most you could get out of it is some pleaseure . drop it of somthing and have a laugh. lol
just kidding

um try o&o defrag and download ccleaner that will get rid of tempery files and clean the Reg

Run disk clean up would be a good idea, shutting down some programs in start up as well, turning of the fade effects of writing and stuff like that all help, keep all your big files on and external device so your not clogging up your hdd, try not to do to many multiple tasks as this will use more memory and will effect performance, disconnect from the INTERNET if you don't need to be on it when your doing other things, you can try and over clock your processor a little to increase performance.

If it's frequently slowing down and you are using stock cooling, then it could be thermal throttling. Pentium 4s run HOT. Download a program to mesure your temps.

Well, a maintenance would be good:

CCleaner
Virus and spyware scan
Sbybot
HijackThis
Defrag with Diskeeper
do a sfc /scannow in the Run command and have your XP CD ready.

Also, clean your computer inside. Avoid overheating or heating issues.

Erm, on Dells, it's rather hard to have senseors on them. Dells have customised Foxconn boards, and most of the times, they remove their sensors, so don't worry if you either have a weird reading or no readings...

Back
Top Bottom